which brand of inner tube are you rocking?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bombertodd

by bombertodd

addictR1 wrote:wow... lots to choose from. i heard using latex with CF rims like the farsport may generate too much heat going downhill.. is that about right?

maybe give Michelin airstop a try.. what's the weight on those?

I just weighed some of mine, 95 grams (A1 with 40mm valve stem).

I really like them. Smooth valve stem so it doesn't eat your pump seals and non-removeable valve stem is trouble free for thread on type pump heads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gravity

by gravity

Maxxis Welter Weight.

mrfish

by mrfish

The 0.45mm ones like Conti Supersonic are a bit fragile and need care to change without re-puncturing, but good in $/g if that's important to you. However if you want something a bit more robust then Vittoria ultralights are a good compromise between weight, robustness and $. If you buy 10 from Wiggle they're also quite cheap.

savechief

by savechief

Q Tubes right now. Would like to try Panaracer R'Air one day.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

kulivontot

by kulivontot

What about those eclipse foss tubes? I remember them advertising a ridic weight, but everybody speculating it was vaporware

addictR1

by addictR1

Mrfish.. Thanks... Haven't bought from wiggle for a while...

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

savechief wrote:Q Tubes right now. Would like to try Panaracer R'Air one day.

The R'Airs are my all time favs and I actually cleaned out the US distributor at one time. They have gone up in price, but I still have a pretty good stock pile. When I run out, I'll probably just use Specs or Miches, unless I can find a reasonable source for the Panaracer R'Airs. Best tubes I've ever ridden.

addictR1

by addictR1

rowdysluggins: do you use the panaracers on carbon wheelset? i see it's latex with durability of butyl..

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I'm also using the Panaracer R'Airs. They're just butyl tubes; there's no latex in them. They're good tubes, but not worth the premium price.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

addictR1 wrote:rowdysluggins: do you use the panaracers on carbon wheelset? i see it's latex with durability of butyl..

I use them with all of my carbon wheels with no problem. I don't know if they are a latex/butyl blend or just butyl, but IMHO they ride better than any other butyl tubes I've used and I won't use latex because of the quick air loss. Also, they may not be worth the full list price, but if you can find them on sale, you should give them a try.

moshinho

by moshinho

I use this: Schwalbe Tube SV 20 light

kode54

by kode54

i was testing Panaracer R'Airs on one bike...which has held up very well..and may switch over completely. otherwise, i typically use Continental Race tubes.

with the Panaracer R'Airs...all the valves were loose on 4 of them. i thought i had a slow leak...but when pumping them up one day. the valve shot out. i've since tightened the others.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

If you want light and *fast* Vred latex are the only choice.
formerly rruff...

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

kulivontot wrote:What about those eclipse foss tubes? I remember them advertising a ridic weight, but everybody speculating it was vaporware

Eclipse and Foss are two different tubes. Foss are far less expensive, but heavier and I've not had good reports on them. Eclipse on the other hand has been quite stellar, I would say it's a clear winner for best tube. 28-30 grams for a road tube and with the puncture resistance as good as a standard weight butyl. The drawback of course is the price and like latex they cannot be used in carbon.

Short answer in my opinion, best tubes in order of preference.

1. Eclipse, 30 grams.
2. Vredestein latex, 48 grams

Best options for carbon rims.
Vredestein butyl lite, 70 grams
Vittoria Ultra 80 grams, or Bontrager XXX 70 grams.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Uh oh. I was thinking of trying latex tubes with my Enve wheels. 95% of my riding is on flat land. If I don't brake going downhill would I be ok?
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.