New bike - mixing Di2/Campa SR?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frodebo

by Frodebo

Time to build the new bike! And again Colnago ;-)

I would prefer Campagnolo as I think Colnago and Campagnolo is a perfect match, but now I'm not sure - just because I think Di2 is much better than the EPS.

My toughts now is: What if I mix it? Di2 with Campagnolo SR crank, brakes and cassette (Campagnolo wheels)? Will this be a good match? Bad or good?

Frode
Scott Aspect for commuting
Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 1 2012 MTB
Cervelo P2 TT 2010
Battaglin Ltd. 2010 w/Campa Veloce
Colnago C59 Italia w/Campa SR 2011

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

NO !

mattyNor

by mattyNor

It'll function, won't be as smooth as going purely one or the other but it will shift. Unintended side effects might include but are not limited to a mass uprising of zombie Italian mechanics.....

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I've been on here a while and seen a lot of threads...

This one might take the cake.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

the only thing that i would mix is di2 drivetrain with a campy 11 speed wheel. i had the option of going Super Record EPS or Di2, and after evaluating all the benefits and ease of use and ability to customize, I went with Di2. you could put the di2 on the colnago and then use campy wheels.

dgran

by dgran

That just seems odd and I can't come up with much of a good reason for doing it. Not to thread drift too much here, but why do people mix component groups? I understand if you have a part box with some stuff and you want to re-use what you already have, but I'm puzzled by new builds that have a mixture of components. Drive train components are tested together and it seems to me that your best outcome in terms of shifting smoothness and even wear comes from a consistently mated groupset. I can sort of understand replacing a crankset with something lightweight and exotic, but it seems to be at the expense of aesthetics. I could be an oddball, but I think a full DA or full Record groupset looks very nice together without after market replacement parts.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

In contrast to existing comments, I think about that all the time on my Colnago. I miss Di2 but love the SR ti crankset bearings and q factor. Plus Campagnolo wheels with cult bearings are second to none.
Its your bike and you want the best functionality out of it. So pick your best parts to accomplish that.
Do it.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AndreLM

by AndreLM

To the OP, I frankly don't think it would "look right", and it seems your goal would be to have a Campy "look", especially with the crank set.

As for using Campy wheels on a Shimano bike, that would be all right (even though I changed my wheel set decision to avoid exactly this mix & match).

@dgran: another possible reason to mix components is weight or even reliability (like using a SRAM cassette in place of CS9000, which is having some failures reported, including here in WW).