Build Suggestion - Steel Disc Road Frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

So I am looking at getting a custom frame build done this year and I have been looking at a few options that I wanted opinions on.

First, I am 182cm and 72kg, MOP type rider that rides for enjoyment (no racing). Pretty flat/rolling terrain around my parts featuring < 1km climbs.

Now to the fun part....thinking a modern steel build with disc brakes. So far I have found the following:

1. Breadwinner Lolo (disc option)
2. Stoemper Taylor (disc option)
3. Strong (disc option)
4. Spooky Lumberjack (not sure if they offer disc option, maybe Micky can chime in if he is around)

I had been looking at the Breadwinner B-Road, but I am afraid it may be a bit of overkill for the gravel/dirt roads that I favor around my house. I do not want to sacrifice too much on paved roads since this will be my "all around" bike. Plan on doing the build with 6870 Di2 and hydro disc brakes.

Looking for input on the builders listed, and suggestions for additional builders that I may not have thought of.

:beerchug:

EDIT: Would love to keep the frame/fork cost to sub $3k. The Breadwinner and the Stoemper are both around $2.5 for the frame/fork.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

English - wait 2yrs
Tonic Fab
Dornbox
Cielo
IndyFab
Less is more.

corky

by corky

Dornbox works for IF now......

Maybe you just need a roadbike with room for larger tires?

Any of the builders mentioned so far should do, call 'em up and see who strikes a chord.....

fa63

by fa63

Hard to go wrong with Carl Strong, sounds like his "personal blend" option would be a good fit for you.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

aaah not quite the right day of the week yet but, the Bike Friday!

Have you considered if you could stretch your budget for a ti Caletti? That could be the perfect Bike Friday, non?
Less is more.

Dammit

by Dammit

Oak Cycles? Exactly what you describe, albeit with a rather personal paint scheme that you would of course not have:

gravity

by gravity

I have experience building a custom frame with Rychtarski. I guess all of the builders you listed above are credible enough to build you good frame. Based on my short experience, my only suggestion is to go with builder who you can visit their workshop. Much of the premium price from custom steel would go to pay for the craftmanship but I think I wouldn't mind if I have to pay a little extra if I can see and communicate with my builder directly. I'm pretty sure you'll have so many crazy questions that you'd like some answer from your builder.

Enjoy! Keep us updated!

Devon

by Devon

Look at Soma. The Double cross (although a CX bike) is really nice. My mate uses his for CX/touring; I was actually surprised by how well it climbed. They also make various road models (although I'm unsure about disc availability for these).

Not sure if you can get them over in the US but the Genesis Fugio is beautiful (again a CX bike but when they're disc specific there's not a lot of difference for casual users).
Last edited by Devon on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Dammit - Thanks for the suggestion! That frame looks sweet!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Didn't realize they were in London.....looking at keeping this search limited to CONUS. Should have specified.

Breadwinner is in the lead thus far as both Ira and Tony have been super responsive to my inquiries.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com