HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:24 pm 

Illuminate wrote:
With this limitation in mind, I wonder whether anyone has considered designing and printing their own cleats with a 3D printer?

Options could include:
1. A whole new cleat with 3 hole mounts with adjustability (much the same as a regular look cleat or similar)
2. An adaptor that allows the original snap on cleat section to be used but it bolts on to the 3 hole mount and allows for 2d positional adjustment of the cleat on the shoe.

My brother in law has a 3D printer and it was pretty impressed with its capabilities!

It has been mentioned by many several times, at least here, but am yet to see any real ones that work. I would be more than happy to buy a set and try them out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:55 pm 

I've ridden Aerolites almost exclusively since the mid to late 80's and never had a problem with the Ti 2 models bending or breaking. I weigh close to 190 pounds. I probably have 30,000-50,000 miles on one pair. I know of about another 30 triathletes up and down the state (California ) who used them as well and have never even heard of a problem in that respect. If anyone out there has had a problem with bending or breaking, how about letting us know.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:55 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:09 pm 

I also ran Ti Aerolites for a couple years in the late 80's.
I liked them for their extreme low weight.
No problems with bending or breaking (I fluctuated between about 140 and 170 lbs); I am not a high-power sprinter at all.

The problems I did have is that the cleat would sometimes begin to "walk" toward the outside of the pedal. They incorporated a "lip" on the inside of the cleat to alleviate this, but it was only partially successful. I never came unclipped, but only because I would notice the walking after an inch or so and reclip.

I did come down with knee soreness, which was mild but definite, and I blamed it on the lack of float. That is when I first went to the old Look Delta Arc pedals/cleats, which helped.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:59 pm 

Its not lack of float but rather bad cleat position. That is the one thing most ppl hate...you gotta get it right! Vast majority of pro's use fixed cleat because float robs them of power. On the other hand float has been a big help for most people. Aerolites are a bit old school in that they attach directly to the shoe like all cleats used to do. It can be frustrating but they are the pedal for me!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:57 pm 

Fairwheel Bikes is now advertising the pedals so there's a US source.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:16 pm 

I've never felt that float robs me of any power. Have there been any studies that show it does?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:03 am 
in the industry

First of all, what´s the number of this "new" aluminum so I can compare it to 6-4 Ti or 6-6-2 Ti, I´ve never seen a alloyed aluminum that have better properties than 6-4 ti which is the standard material for bike applications except tubesets for frames.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:49 pm 

There is an MIT study about float out there somewhere. Old but still relevant I assume.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:57 pm 
in the industry

In general, coat 7075-T6 aluminum and calling it stronger than 6-4 is false marketing.

I´m doing some research on coating in aluminum, more specifically the high alloyed ones in my university.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:14 pm 

They described it as " stronger than titanium" ... but didn't meantion what grade of titanium being the reference. ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:51 pm 

When a spindle is loaded in bending, the greatest stress is at the outside surface of the spindle. So I suppose it might be possible to put on a coating that makes the new spindle "stronger than a Ti spindle" even if the bulk of the material is not really stronger.

Another source of failure is at the threads, which introduce stress concentrations. It might be possible to have a coating that reduces the stress concentrations at the root of the spindle's threads.

I have no idea if any of this applies to the new Aerolites; I am just pointing out that it would be possible to improve upon the apparent strength of Ti, and then they could market the spindles as "stronger than Ti". I would be eager to see it applied to ther pedals too, if true.

Post subject: New Aerolites - CLA Lite
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:55 pm 
in the industry

I'm certainly no metallurgist but aluminum needs to be coated to survive in the open and the accepted way to that is through anodization; essentially a hard brittle ceramic oxide. Having converted some part of the alu to what is essentially a ceramic, anodization it will create a stress riser situation and weaken the substrate. At least this is what I was told by a real engineer;)!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:24 pm 

I would get these in a heartbeat, but I just cannot accept a pedal with no cleat adjustablility, (i.e.. the "3-hole cleat" just has two holes that screw into the two holes that are side by side[on the three-hole triangle] = ZERO cleat ADJUSTABILITY)
(I am not talking about float)

Now if that works for you..great, but I don't think it would work for me :cry:

The Three hole cleat that Ultralite created is just common sense. I don't understand why Aerolite didn't do something like that.
(I would already have these if they did).

So I will get the Ultralite, but will wait a bit to see if there are any more issues (like the one reported here recently where the pedal broke :cry: :cry: )

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107093&hilit=ultralite+pedals&start=165

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:20 pm 
in the industry

In general, aluminum is ductile and most coating and anodizing is much harder, when the aluminum uses its ductile nature, the coating/anodizing cannot follow and will crack, in worst cases it will make a valley into the aluminum and continue until the part fails.
The fatigue life will decrease from 5 to 50% when using dissimilar materials.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:43 pm 

I can't verify the stiffness claims, but I know they are doing unbelievable things in the aerospace industry these days. One thing I do know is that the sleeves on these new coated pedals spin infintely longer (smoother) than the old pedals. You can tell that by just spinning them by hand. It may be just the pacebo effect, but I swear i feel faster with them (less pedal friction.....and I never really noticed that I had pedal friction previously)! ??

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:43 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next