Bontrager XXX Stem and XXX VR-C Handlebar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Knowing the confusing way Bontrager/Trek names their product, I'm going to link to them before asking my questions.
XXX VR-C Handlebar:
http://www.bontrager.com/model/09833
XXX Stem:
http://www.bontrager.com/model/11242

So, anyone has the actual weight of these bar and stem? On Bontrager's website, the claimed weights are 189g for the 420mm bar and 123g for the 120mm for the stem. Any truth to that as those are the sizes I'm currently eyeing?

Any comments to the stiffness of this combo? As I've been originally eyeing the ZIPP SLC2 and ENVE combo, how would they compare as I am looking for something stiff? Since I'm possibly going to order a Project One Trek Madone so might order those Bontragers together to save me the hassle of wrapping bar tape and transferring components.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I thought I had the stem on its own, but I don't. I can tell you that the stem with the headset cap, 35mm of spacers and my stem cap (10g) weighs in at 169g. I'll try to weigh it this evening when I get home.

In terms of stiffness, I've never experience any flex with it. I'm running a RXL IsoZone bar with the 110 stem, and it feels solid. No flex, no complaints, to be honest. I've got a friend with that handlebar, and he's happy with it, too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jb

by jb

I have the same combo and the weights are as listed,for the both of them.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

@FIJIGabe Thanks for the info, looking forward to your weighing results.

@jb What do you think of the stiffness and vibration dampening of that stem and bar combo? Also, how does the stiffness compare to other stems and bars you have used before?

jb

by jb

its a little bit difficult to compare stiffness with other combo's for me but i think it will be stiff enough for you.
I am a heavy rider (100Kilo) and its stiff for me,so no complaints about that.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I haven't had a chance to weigh mine yet (been getting out of work really late these last couple of days). I'll try to do it this weekend.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I have the XXX stem on my Superfly, and it has a warning that it needs a 5mm spacer below and above the stem. I was told I could disregard this for MTB use, but it might be something to keep in mind if you plan on slamming your stem.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

I used the XXX stem with the RL (aluminum) handlebar, and the combination was fantastically stiff. I'm currently using the Ritchey C260 alloy stem and Superlogic carbon bars, which are less stiff by comparison. Though, as a 170 lb Cat 2, I really question whether variations in stiffness between any of the mid to top-end offerings from most manufacturers have any bearing on performance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com