Helmet Wind Noise?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Is the Roc Loc Air just on the Air Attack? I think the Aeon I had a couple years back had the Roc Loc 5 or something at that point. The retention system didn't feel like anything special or unique...
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

Righly don't know if the Air Attack is the only model utilizing it ATM, but it is different from Roc Loc 5 in that the helmet isn't actually touching your head, as strange as that may sound, it's only the retention at the rear and a sort of soft inner webbing that is in skin contact, which in turn the actual helmet is suspended upon. Sort of floating firmly above your head.

In other words there is no padding/liner within the shell of the helmet which sits against your skull. Albeit there is a frontal liner within the webbing, seems mainly there to soak up fore head sweat and I found the helmet more comfortable without it. Will try and see how that works out sweat wise.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

headwind816 wrote:I wore a LG Course for several days including days with gusts reaching 40mph. Thr first thing I noticed was the dramatical reduction in noise over my LAS Victory helmet.

I recently switched from a $30 Giro Transfer to the LG Course. I also noticed how my quieter the LG Course is. Plus the straps are softer and more comfortable. Once you get up to a certain speed though you get that wind rushing past the ears sound which gets loud. I have been using Slipstreamz Spoilers for over a year and they do work to cut down on the intensity of wind noise IME. They are low profile so they don't look goofy like some of the other wind blocking products on the market IMO.

aaric

by aaric

I went from an Aeon to an Evade. Both size large. Its noticeably easier to hold conversations on the bike at speed with the evade.

DMF

by DMF

So I Believe I promised a small review, now that I've got some time on the Air Attack and tested back to back vs Atmos... There is noticeable noise from the Air Attack, but much less so than the Atmos and primarily a less turbulent boise. Where the Atmos would go swosch-swisch-pschh-schhh... Well you know :) ...the Air Attack is a way more pleasant constant ffscchhh.... Haha. Sort of, you get it. When turtleing (tuck your head and neck down between your shoulder blades for aero, its damn near as noiseless as no helmet... And while on the subject, in that position, this thing is freaking fast! ...don't give me the crap about minute differences, this is shallow vs deep wheels territory differences...

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Great to hear! That difference in air resistance/feeling fast sounds promisingz of course fit comes first but still that sounds good
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

on a side note, when my ear stretchings were around the 10mm size the would whistle when I was riding downhills, used to really annoy me! Now they're up to 30mm and they don't do it anymore :o

Helmet wise I'd say my Evade is quieter than all my Giros

em3

by em3

In nearly 35 years of cycling I have never experienced helmet wind noise...from hairnet, to skid lid, to bell biker, to giro foam, etc.....are u sure that what u r experiencing isn't simply wind noise running by ur ears? Isn't that the sound (noise?) that symbolizes the very essence of freedom one feels when riding a bike? If u set out to eliminate basic wind noise then what's next? ...the beautiful sound of rubber from ur tires rolling across the Tarmac, or the whirr of ur chain running through ur gears, or the light humm of ur spokes cutting through the wind??? Sounds like u may need to stop and smell the flowers and take in the beauty (noise and all) of what cycling is all about. EM3

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

em3 wrote:..are u sure that what u r experiencing isn't simply wind noise running by ur ears? Isn't that the sound (noise?) that symbolizes the very essence of freedom one feels when riding a bike?

I'd say there is quite a bit of that too to be honest, considering how fast I ride :lol: But yeah there would be some of that as well

PuroScattista

by PuroScattista

that subtle wind noise will over time affect your hearing so although not wanting to make air deflectors for the ears- it might pay off to keep your hearing in top notch years to come.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Owner of a gym where I workout uses small cotton balls to tune down background noise. He has been doing it for 20+ years.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

BRM

by BRM

Parsley in your ears! The Romans used this method already. :)

milehighcyclist

by milehighcyclist

also have the sworks prevail and dont notice any increase in wind noise switching from rudy project windmax

SamuraiX

by SamuraiX

Currently using Giro Saros, didn't notice any wind noise from the helmet around cruising speed of 35km/h.
However, there will be slight wind noise at 50+km/h downhill but I guess it's unavoidable.

PuroScattista

by PuroScattista

Took out my air attack on a 80km ride and left feeling neutral regarding less/more wind noise. I did notice, however that only at a certain angle could I -just- start to feel some exhaust of air flow out of the rear vent. Now as a positive- the shield is fantastic....absolutely. It was so nice not having to fidget with the sunglasses and any sweat rolled right down the nose rather than drop onto the lens. My LG X-Lite helmet... quite noisy in comparison to the air attack. Out of a 1-10 in noise level with one being darn quiet and 10 being a blow dryer in your ear for the air attack- Id give it an honest 4-5 depending on head angle. My LG X-Lite...a 7-8.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com