Lightest handlebars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I cut off the ends to my Zipp SL Short & Shallow and they're 169g. They're stiff as hell, too. I'm a big guy and they don't flex at all, at least from what I can tell. If you're looking for the lightest bars at a reasonable price, these are the ones.

BRM

by BRM

You mention you're a big guy, however the pic is from a handlebar with the width for a woman. (38 on the hoods)

:noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

It's a 40. I don't like riding wide bars. If that makes me a women then that's fine.

BRM

by BRM

n808 wrote:Since I now have both the Hylix "Tornova" version and the "Ergonova" versions:
The 42cm Ergonova (red highlights) is 40cm at the brakes, 42cm end of drops. Weight 188g.
The 40cm Tornova (all black) is 40cm at the brakes and 40cm end of drops. Weight 194g.
The main differences seem to be a flatter top section for the Ergonova, the Tornova is not entirely round either, but less oval, and as you can see from the numbers, the Ergonova drops angle slightly outward. I haven't installed or tried the Tornova version yet, but the Ergonova one has been working well on my Scott Addict R1. I would have to try the Tornova version to say which one I prefer.

I Always have a concern about the strenght of these hylix bars. Bit afraid that they are vulnerable for breaking, in a way that without warning it snaps in two. Maybe Im wrong . . . . Would love to see them hard-tested by someone.

PuroScattista

by PuroScattista

I'm curious if you guys are pairing your carbon bars with carbon stems or using ALU stems instead? I have noticed some 7075 ALU stems that are really leveling out the scale to nearly match some carbon stems.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I'm using an Extralite RoadStem OC which is aluminum.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

i have a 50 usd and 198 g bar from China
http://eliflap.it/

DHG01

by DHG01

Revival on the thread.

I was wondering if someone could help with recommending a light handlebar.
I am pretty open to different options; I typically use a compact type bar and they work fine; Enve classic, FSA works particularly well.

I would like to aim towards a bar at 170-180 grams. It's for a steel bike, I wouldn't to buy something as expensive as Darimo, etc. to get it to 150 grams.

Is there anything equivalent in handlebar to the Elita One seat post? (125 grams, proven quality and €25).

Otherwise, I was thinking of a Zipp SL 70 Ergo.
As said, very open to recommendations.

StanK

by StanK

For that weight, It has to be carbon (which would be a bit odd on a steel bike). For €25 maybe some China stuff. Which I wouldn't put on mine bike.
I hope somebody will come with something more useful, but I doubt it.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I know this is ww, but FWIW, I'd get the most comfortable/ergonomic handlebar not the lightest one.
You're more likely to ride longer (well let me correct that, I'd be more likely to ride longer/further). :mrgreen:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

DHG01

by DHG01

StanK wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:10 am
For that weight, It has to be carbon (which would be a bit odd on a steel bike). For €25 maybe some China stuff. Which I wouldn't put on mine bike.
I hope somebody will come with something more useful, but I doubt it.

Thanks Stan - I wouldn't put a €25 unknown bar in my bike either. Though I have no issue with products sourced from China.

Out of curiosity, why not carbon on a modern steel bike? I actually like the steel frame combo with carbon wheels and carbon touch points.

DHG01

by DHG01

synchronicity wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 4:34 am
I know this is ww, but FWIW, I'd get the most comfortable/ergonomic handlebar not the lightest one.
You're more likely to ride longer (well let me correct that, I'd be more likely to ride longer/further). :mrgreen:
Absolutely - there is a wide range of bars with 80 mm reach and 125/130 drops. That works fine for me.
I am trying to figure out what options I have within those specs.

EXS seems to fit, but at that price point, I might feel more comfortable with a reputable brand.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I'm not sure where you are located, but what about the Prime Primavara X-Lite Handlbars from Wiggle? They are $130 and 169g.

https://www.wiggle.com/prime-primavera- ... -handlebar
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

DHG01

by DHG01

Mocs123 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:53 pm
I'm not sure where you are located, but what about the Prime Primavara X-Lite Handlbars from Wiggle? They are $130 and 169g.

https://www.wiggle.com/prime-primavera- ... -handlebar
Excellent recommendation; thank you.

StanK

by StanK

DHG01 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 9:09 am
... Out of curiosity, why not carbon on a modern steel bike? ...
"Modern steel bike" ... what was that? Sounds a bit like oxymoron to me.

It probably would take few lenghty post to try elaborate all what's on my mind, regarding that, and because it's all individual (you can put whatever you want, on whatever you want), I can't see no real point in that.
Each to his own, as they say.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com