Lightest handlebars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mythical

by mythical

I've been riding my Syntace Racelite2 Carbon bars since something like '08. It's not the lightest but has my preferred shape of drops and they inspire confidence. They also have a titanium mesh in the clamp area to withstand the use of aerobars and a lot of torque.

Note that VR3-tested is different than fatigue testing. It comprises of a sequence of various loads in various load cases to simulate a ride.

“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

rukomasa

by rukomasa

Anybody tried Hylix drop bar on eBay claims 180g costs about 85USD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

Schmolke FullOver TLO on scale @141 grams. This is one of two pairs of handlebars of this kind that I have lying around. I've not weighed the other one so it could be either lighter or heavier. These have been installed at over 7Nm without any marks to show for it.
Attachments
FullOver On Scale
FullOver On Scale
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

n808

by n808

rukomasa wrote:Anybody tried Hylix drop bar on eBay claims 180g costs about 85USD?

I have one on my Scott Addict R1 in sig. I paid $61 + $10 shipping (auction, not fixed price). The weight is as claimed. I ordered 42cm, but that ended up being 40cm at brakes, since it flares out and they measure at end of drops. Which was lucky, this fits me better than a 42 at brakes would have.

I don't race and I don't weigh a lot.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

Serge58

by Serge58

Second on Syntace.
It has to be comfortable _long_ reach or all weight weeneie talk is pointless.

argus

by argus

I have a pair of the 2014 3T Ergonova's with the integrated cable routing underneath and weighed them yesterday and they are a solid 173g for the 40 c-c

spytech

by spytech

mythical wrote:Schmolke FullOver TLO on scale @141 grams. This is one of two pairs of handlebars of this kind that I have lying around. I've not weighed the other one so it could be either lighter or heavier. These have been installed at over 7Nm without any marks to show for it.

My friend has one (fullover TLO) - what is even more amazing, is that it is stiffer than my deda 35 superleggera (180g). if the fullover came in a different size i would consider it for myself, but the 46cm is measured outside to outside, so its a bit narrow for my liking.

mythical

by mythical

Schmolke FullOver bars are ideal for riders with big hands who ride in the drops a lot. Personally, I wish they were about 11mm longer in reach, which is slightly more than their OS bars. My hands felt right at home on the FullOvers though and the weight and stiffness can't be disputed. Don't forget the standard equipment lever handlebar clamps add to even greater weight-savings compared to other bars.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

n808 wrote:
rukomasa wrote:Anybody tried Hylix drop bar on eBay claims 180g costs about 85USD?

I have one on my Scott Addict R1 in sig. I paid $61 + $10 shipping (auction, not fixed price). The weight is as claimed. I ordered 42cm, but that ended up being 40cm at brakes, since it flares out and they measure at end of drops. Which was lucky, this fits me better than a 42 at brakes would have.

I don't race and I don't weigh a lot.

I picked one up and it weighed in at 208g in a 40 cm width. 28g overweight. I loved the shape/reach so I picked up the actual 3t ltd @ 179g.
Speedplay is the devil!

n808

by n808

The one that looks like the 3T Tornova is claimed to be 210g. I have one on order for my old Specialized.

The one that looks like the 3T Ergonova (flat top) is claimed to be 180g. That matches what I got.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

lechat

by lechat

Just weighed a pr. of Zipp ZSLs. 180gms, 44cm. Decided to keep my Ergosum ltd.s. So these are eBay bound.

n808

by n808

By the way, I just received the Hylix Tornova look-alike yesterday. The 42cm weighs 196g.

Sadly, I got the wrong size. For the Ergonova, I had ordered a 42cm. Due to the outward bend this is 40cm at the brakes, which fortunately turned out to suit me perfectly. [After riding years with the 44cm bar that came with my Specialized, I didn't really know what I liked, but I have narrow shoulders, so 40cm was much better.]

Since the description of the Tornova version says it also has an outward bend, I wrote to the seller I wanted a 42cm, specifically that I wanted 40cm at the brakes. He sent me a 42cm, without further questions. This turned out to be shaped quite differently, so it is 42.5cm at the brakes. I guess I'll return it, which is a hassle to China, or re-sell it via eBay.

rukomasa

by rukomasa

Thanks a lot for the all comments about helix. Seems like they are not scarly light and need to double check the width with seller. I will try soon.

n808

by n808

Since I now have both the Hylix "Tornova" version and the "Ergonova" versions:
The 42cm Ergonova (red highlights) is 40cm at the brakes, 42cm end of drops. Weight 188g.
The 40cm Tornova (all black) is 40cm at the brakes and 40cm end of drops. Weight 194g.
The main differences seem to be a flatter top section for the Ergonova, the Tornova is not entirely round either, but less oval, and as you can see from the numbers, the Ergonova drops angle slightly outward. I haven't installed or tried the Tornova version yet, but the Ergonova one has been working well on my Scott Addict R1. I would have to try the Tornova version to say which one I prefer.

lechat

by lechat

Just weighed a pair of Zipp ZSL 42cm C-C, standard drop/reach. 168gms.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com