Wheelbuilding - Every 5th spoke too short...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shinkansen

by shinkansen

It's been a while since I've built some wheels but I threw together some DA 9000 hubs on DT Swiss RR465 rims... The problem I've run into is that every 5th spoke on the non drive side looks short with about 2-3 threads visible. Any suggestions for why this would be happening? Rims are 32h. Spokes are 3x.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quattrings

by quattrings

One side under under over and one side under over under?

eric

by eric

The lacing is off somewhere.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

a picture might help to identify a lacing issue.

my mathematical mind is still trying to get around the idea of "every 5th spoke" on a side that has 16 spokes.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

jekyll man

by jekyll man

bikerjulio wrote:
my mathematical mind is still trying to get around the idea of "every 5th spoke" on a side that has 16 spokes.

What he means is each repeat spoke should be a count of 5 holes from the last on a 32h build..

Have you calculated lengths correctly, or started to tension the DS already?
Mixing 12 and14mm nipples?
Official cafe stop tester

shinkansen

by shinkansen

Here's a photo...

and

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

jekyll man wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:

What he means is each repeat spoke should be a count of 5 holes from the last on a 32h build..

Have you calculated lengths correctly, or started to tension the DS already?
Mixing 12 and14mm nipples?

Each "repeat" spoke would be every 4th, not 5th... Drive / ND / D / ND / Drive ... although I suppose that's semantics.

I don't see anything obviously wrong but it is very hard to follow what's going on in the close-up. Perhaps you could mark the spokes specifically that seem incorrect?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Is the wheel tensioned as if it not it will just be the way the spoke sit in the hub flange once tensioned it will sort itself out.

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

One possible issue is that you put the right side pulling spoke ahead of the left side pulling spoke in the hub flange and then continued to lace the wheel.

If you look at the hub flange the holes are not aligned, they are offset. The first spoke after the valve hole should go to the left hub flange and the second spoke after the valve hole should go to the right hub flange AFTER the first spoke in the direction you will rotate the hub later.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eric

by eric

Looking at the last pic again, I think bdop is correct about getting the flange offset wrong but it's the trailing spokes that are laced wrong. You can see in the pic how they cross right at the flange.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

So what OP needs to do is remove all the NDS spokes, and reinstall them one hole over to the left.

That right?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

ergott

by ergott

I think the lacing looks right except you have the spokes laced to the wrong holes in the rim. The hole to the left of the valve stem should go to the flange closest to you.

eric

by eric

it's hard to tell from a picture but I think the pulling spokes are in the correct hub offset.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think there is a lacing issue now Erggot maybe right. Looking at the drive side the spoke hole to the left of the valve hole should have a spoke going back to the DS flange heads out. 8 hole to the right (hole 1 is the first spoke I have described) there is another spoke heads in that goes 2 holes to the right of the valve hole. Looking at the NDS find the flange hole that is just to the right of the DS spoke that is two hole to the right of the valve hole this spoke should be heads out and it goes one hole to the left of the valve hole. Follow the 3x lacing pattern and you have a wheel. Make a mistake and it will be all off somewhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

ergott wrote:I think the lacing looks right except you have the spokes laced to the wrong holes in the rim. The hole to the left of the valve stem should go to the flange closest to you.

This does not matter so much.. It's just creating a mirror image, though the convention is left of valve to "drive" side of hub, some rims are actually offset in a way that makes this incorrect..

I believe that this is correct:
BobDopolina wrote:One possible issue is that you put the right side pulling spoke ahead of the left side pulling spoke in the hub flange and then continued to lace the wheel.

If you look at the hub flange the holes are not aligned, they are offset. The first spoke after the valve hole should go to the left hub flange and the second spoke after the valve hole should go to the right hub flange AFTER the first spoke in the direction you will rotate the hub later.

Starting with your "key" spoke, and the first set on that side, it's fine - but the next set of spokes, done on the opposite side of the hub, is in correct - the spokes are over-reaching. If you started key spoke to left, then the opposite side goes one hole to the left (in the hub), and then up to the 2nd hole to the left in the rim; as-is, you have it one hole to the right, and then up to the left, effectively - making spoke too short.

Hopefully that makes some measure of sense. As always, sheldonbrown.com - undo and relace carefully reading.