Broke the derailleur hanger on my Trek 5200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Hello:

Earlier this evening I broke the derailleur hanger on my 2004 Trek 5200 while doing Trainer Road. The hanger isn't replaceable, so the whole frame needs to be replaced.

I understand Trek has lifetime warranties on their frames. Has anyone here dealt with them on getting stuff replaced under warranty? Since they don't make the 5200 anymore (and assuming they offer to replace the frame), what are my options? Is the Madone 5.2 the modern version of the 5200?

I take it that I'll need to go through a Trek dealer to get any warranty work done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

latman

by latman

where exactly did it break ? if you cannot get any warranty joy you may be able to machine away some of the remaining alloy dropout and then bolt a replaceable hanger to the remains , or gently heat the broken alloy dropout till the epoxy glue holding it in the stays softens and then pull it out ?

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

Most warranties do not cover crashes or mishaps; they cover manufacturing defects. As your situation sounds like the former, I doubt the warranty will do you any good. They do, however, have a crash replacement policy, which will get you a small percentage off the purchase of a new frame, should you be interested in that route.

The best option, if you hope to continue using the frame, is likely (as latman explains) to modify what remains to fit a bolt-on hanger.

That, or get a WI Eno hub and make a sweet single speed.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I dealt with the warranty process recently on my old 5 series Madone. From what I've read online, Trek may offer to replace the hanger, but it will require that you have the bike sent to Trek to have that work performed. Also, it looks like they probably won't do it as a warranty claim, because of the nature of the part (hangers are meant to bend/break to save the frame in case of a fall).

I would take the bike to your local dealer (assuming you bought the bike from a Trek dealer), and have them submit a warranty claim to Trek. Then take it from there. Worst case scenario is you get an offer of 20% off the price of a new bike or frame (take the bike - Trek tends to sell components at cost, in my experience).

afalts

by afalts

There is a guy I know, also here in Ontario, and this happened to him recently (also a 5200). It wasn't covered under warranty, but he sent it to trek and they repaired it. Looks like a garbage job to be honest, but if it's just a trainer bike I would do it. He bought a new Madone in the end... It was a 6 year old bike after all - now his trainer bike.

Their repair was as mentioned above, ground it down until a custom bolt-on one worked.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I filed a warranty claim with Trek. I'm still waiting to hear back from them (it could take 2 or 3 business days).

There are a number of Trek dealers in the Ottawa area, so I could take it down there. Unfortunately I live out in the sticks, so the weekends are the only time I have to drive to Ottawa.

I have a pic of the damage, but it's taken from the top looking down, so you can't really see the break. I'll try taking a pic from the side, where you can see the damage, later today.

If Trek offered to replace the hanger that might be a good option, that way I could keep the frame. Otherwise, if they offer me a new frame, I'm looking at having to upgrade the crank, bottom bracket, etc. since many of my current components probably won't be compatible with a new frame with that new fangled internal cabling and BB30 stuff.

And the damn thing is I was thinking of buying a new bike later this year anyways, except I had my eyes on an S-Works Tarmac or Eddy Merckx 525.

rijndael

by rijndael

jspaceman wrote:won't be compatible with a new frame with that new fangled internal cabling and BB30 stuff.
AFAIK, Trek doesn't do BB30, they're BB90.

eric

by eric

And even if it was BB30 you can get adaptors for just about any kind of crank.

afalts

by afalts

OP's 5200 likely uses an OctaLink BB, for which there is no adapter with the new Madone's (BB90)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Yeah, BB90 (24mm) isn't compatible with any BB30 crank (30mm). Don't even try.

That being said, if it can be repaired, go for it. The worst that will happen is an ugly repair job, but you can live with that. On the otherhand, if Trek does throw you a 20% discount on the bike, it would be a nice way to upgrade.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

You are correct, Trek is using BB90 now not BB30. Is there a web page someplace that explains all the differences between the various bottom bracket standards? It's confusing.

Yes, my bike has an Ultegra double Octalink crankset. I just replaced the bottom bracket on it last summer.

rijndael

by rijndael

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Why on earth is anyone talking about warranty? This is not warrantable in any universe. Crash-replacement it may be but that's it.

Hangers do not "just break", they have to have some outside force however innocuous.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Here is a pic of my broken hanger:

http://postimg.org/image/iqjesns3h/

drmutley

by drmutley

Looks easy enough to fix... Although I hope u manage to get a newy thru warranty!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com