BMC SLR Cage mounting - asymmetric?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

So I collected my new SLR02 today and while looking over the frame I noticed the seat tube bottle bosses aren't central to the tube. I'm assuming this is due to the asymmetric design of the frame, but having had a dodgy frame in the past (with poorly placed bosses) I wanted to double check. Is this normal?

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Looks like they missed to me. I owned a 2011 and 2012 SLR01 and don't recall the bosses looking like that. Then again those were 2011 and 2012.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micropox

by micropox

previous models of slr01 are BB30. Hence the symmetrical BB and seat tube, and centered bottle cage bolt boss. 2013 and newer SLR are now BB86. Wider BB. asymmetrical seat tube. The seat tube covered the whole part of the BB on the non-drive side. But not on the drive side to accommodate chain-rings. That is why the bottle cage bolt boss does not look centered. But if you actually measure the distance between the bolt boss and crank arms, both arms will have the same distance.

hope that helps

Devon

by Devon

Exactly what I thought micropox, thanks for confirming. Looking from directly above the bosses are collinear with those on the down tube. it just looks very strange! The whole rear end of the bike looks twisted and wonky so it's taking me some time to get my head around it. Not used to this modern tech 8)

Devon

by Devon

Just to follow up; when built and with cages fitted they're perfectly central and straight. 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com