Front wheel for time trail (hed h3 or 9)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tri

by tri

I'd like some input on what front wheel I should choose for the sole use for time trails. My two options are Hed H3 or a Hed 9 upfront. I already have wheels with lower profile if it would be windy. Although I have quite heavy so I have (or haven't) experienced any issues with wind gust in the past. My old setup was a corima 3-spoke.

Thanks in advance.

efeballi

by efeballi

AFAIK the trispoke wheel will flex more than a normal wheel. Not to mention the weight penalty, and you will be unable to true the wheel if you need to.

For the weight and flex issues, it's only suited to flatter TT's.

I'd suggest a high profile spoked wheelset like Jet 9 which will be more versatile. If you already have a high profile wheelset you could buy a trispoke for maximum aero. If not, invest in a high profile wheelset first.

My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

I run a Hed 6 and 9 front as my options for both road and TT. Depending on the wind, you can choose between them. The H3 is also a good choice for TT, of course, but is a bit more limited.

Nomakoman

by Nomakoman

Hed 3...it's stiff, is about the same weight as a jet 9 and far more predictable in a crosswind (i have owned hed 3, stinger 5.0, jet 90, zipp 404, corima 4 spoke etc....list is endless!)

owl

by owl

I used a H3 for 2 yrs - I really liked it seemed very stiff and solid - crosswinds weren't too bad - sometimes a few wobbles.
Owl

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

The H3 aerodynamics are supposedly pretty sensitive to tire width, and given the option of only a few fast, narrow tires, I'd opt for the Jet 9.

desperado95219

by desperado95219

I have both H3's and the 9. I think it's probably a toss up. As far as the stiffness of the the H3, don't worry about that. They are virtually bombproof. I have been riding a set on my tandem for 12 years carrying well over 300 pounds and they are as true as when I got them. I have Continental GP 4000S 700x25 tires mounted on them. I love them, but they aren't light....and either is the Stinger 9.

tri

by tri

I've made my decision it will be a h3. Now I have to make up my mind on tire selection. There is a slim picking amongst the narrower versions. Conti grand prix tt or their attack will most likely be my options.

Thanks for your input.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

HED just released a wider H3 (GT3) that looks to be better than the H3 at narrower yaw angles. Who knows if they'll have a clincher option available anytime soon, given that they haven't released the Vanquish yet, maybe they'll also have to make it with an aluminum brake track. Just more info for you.