Trainer wheel alternatives

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Just picked up a cheap magnetic trainer for pre-race warm ups and those days when you just can't make it outside. I'm looking at getting a wheel specifically for the trainer for as near free as possible. My only problem is I am running Campy SR11 and there really isn't a cheap cassette out there… Anyone know of a cheap 11spd cassette alternative that would work to spin on a trainer? I've just been browsing ebay for a used Chorus. I also need a wheel that will work with 11spd, perhaps I should have stayed with my old 10spd… hah.

Thanks.
Instagram @seanblurr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

I would recommend a used Mavic Aksium wheelset as the rear wheel has been 11-speed compatible since Campy introduced 11-speed and the set can often be purchased for < $150 US on Ebay.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

G60

by G60

According to Lennard Zinn, an 11sp Shimano/SRAM rear wheel/cassette would work as well, so that would definitely make your search a little easier/cheaper:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/bikes-and-tech/drivetrain-compatibility-hidden-in-plain-sight_303199