HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: Moving from an Aliante
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:04 am 

My Aliante is a WW nono. Has anyone moved to something significantly lighter with the same comfort? I defo need help here...

Post subject: Moving from an Aliante
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:04 am 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:43 pm 

I switched from an Aliante VS with Kium rails 258g to a Prologo Scratch Plus 143mm 266g. You can cross the prologo off your list.

Interested to hear if there is anything out there. Have you looked for a full carbon saddle with the Aliante shape?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:45 pm 

Absolutely nothing is as comfortable as an Aliante. The carbon railed ones are fairly light but rather expensive.

I got a good s/h deal on a Prologo Scratch Pro Nack. It's a similar shape to an Aliante although firmer in feel. 'Nack' in Prologo-speak means carbon rails so this saddle is a bit lighter than the Aliante.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:23 pm 

Scratch pro nack is quite a bit narrower than an Aliante.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:50 am 

According to their respective website specifications, the Aliante Carbon is 142mm wide, the Prologo Scratch PRO NACK is 143mm.

Personally, I ride the 'Scratch NACK' but that's stated as 134m wide comparatively.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:47 am 

This is going to sound quite drastic, but former Aliante lover (still love it for mtb), now on a Spec. Toupe Pro 143 - not padded nearly the same, yet somehow immensely comfortable. I never had any numbness or felt the need for a cutout, but it is actually more comfortable.

It's going to be tough finding something with the amount of cushion offered in the Aliante at sub 200g methinks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:11 am 

Maxxevv, the nack rails only come with 134mm. I tried to get a Scratch Pro with nack rails in 143mm and Prologo said it only comes in standard width (134mm).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:07 am 

thanks all, I think a carbon railed aliante is worth looking at then, but ain't gonna give me a massive saving.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:20 am 

Oh, I had no idea!

I thought the there was no difference between the Ti and Nack railed versions ! The product page wasn't explicit about it and I thought they meant that they came in 2 widths !

http://www.prologotouch.com/prodotti/sc ... onack.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:16 am 
Formerly known as wassertreter

For me it's the other way around, I'd be keen on trying an Aliante Versus for the longest days, coming from a San Marco Aspide. They seem to have a similar profile.

Interestingly, my older unpadded Aspide Composite is more comfortable than my newer regular non-padded non-carbon one. The old one is really flexible when you sit all the way on the back of the saddle, using it on gravel and dirt roads without problems. The newer Aspide Superleggera are very stiff apparently, though, or so I've read. (Rider weight a bit under 75kg fwiw)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:01 pm 

I'm an Aliante fan, mostly use the Aliante Carbon w/ carbon rails. I have also spent a lot of time on the Prologo Scratch Pro TS (nylon base, Ti rails). There is also the higher-end Prologo Scratch with the kevlar-carbon base and carbon rails, I believe called Scratch Nack. This is different shape and construction than the Scratch Pro. I have used it on 2 rides on a demo bike, it feels a lot like an Aliante and is much softer than the Scratch Pro. I believe it is also lighter, around 185g with the Nack rails.

FWIW, the Aspide and the Aliante are very different feeling saddles. The Aliante is much softer and much more concave front-back. It takes some fine adjusting to find the sweetspot for fore-aft and leveling because of its tendency to hold the rider in one spot.

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:01 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:17 am 

I have and am using the Sratch Nack, its a fairly decent 164g on my scales. ( Prologo claimed weight is 158g)

I wouldn't say its 'softer' than the Scratch Pro though as the construction ( which is very similar to the Aliante ) are quite different. It just supports the rider differently having tried both.