Fizik Antares options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Hi all.

After quickly trying a Fizik Antares on today's 30 miler I'm hopeful that this may be THE saddle for me.

I bought a cheap manganese version as I was just trying it out, but it's 80g heavier than the Toupe pro that I have been using. So ideally I'd like to get hold of a lighter version if it's still looking good after a few weeks trial.

So, does anyone know if there are any differences between all the different models (expect weight of course). Ie does the carbon railed version ride different to the Kium? Are the wingflex sides on the new R1 and R3 worthwhile? What about the 00? Is it worth that price tag?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Thanks! :oops:

jason9020

by jason9020

I own the 00 and i can say that it's quite comfortable and so far I have no complaints. For the weight it really does have a surprising amount of padding. I'm not sure if the lack of a channel in the center would bother you, but all I know about the difference between the 00 and the other antares models is that it is a little stiffer due to the shell design.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Thanks for the info Jason.

I have been using the Toupe for the last few years, so I thought the lack of channel would be an issue for me, but after over 1:30 today I had no issues with numbness. I did try and Arione a number of years ago and that was definatley a no no for me. I've been having problems with the Toupe recently as I've upped my mileage which I think is linked to the amount of pressure on the sit bone area due to the cut out, so I wanted to try a saddle that would spread the weight a bit more evenly. Always liked the look of the Antares and so far so good.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I use both Kium and carbon braided. To me carbon braided seem to be stiffer and my Kium doesn't seem to have lasted as long before sag set in (don't know why that should be if the body of both is the same so it's probable saddle specific).

From what I'm reading here aboutthe carbon top of the 00 lasting longer I may well upgrade next time.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

The 00 has noticeably less padding than the standard Kiüm railed version. I have ridden 3 flavors of Antares for the past 5 years so I would think I have some insight into this. You will feel the padding difference in 4+ hour rides.

thencameyou

by thencameyou

definitely less sag over time with the 00 compared to Kium/braided nylon versions. I don't mind the sag too much though, still a reasonably stiff shell...

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Anyone any experience with the new R1 or R3. The shell looks very similar to the 00 and has a similar foam core.

ARL002

by ARL002

If the lack of a center channel does end up bothering you, the VS version has a slight depressed center channel. I went from a Specialized Romin Evo with center channel and felt that the Antares VS was even more comfortable.

I have a kium version on my trainer bike and a carbon railed version on my carbon frame. Not sure I can tell a flex difference on one or the other. Same shell, different rails.

rijndael

by rijndael

The Fizik Versus (VS) channel is not that deep, but the Versus X (VXS) is deep.

Photosynthesis

by Photosynthesis

I am looking at getting the Fizik Antares and trying to decide which model to go with. I think I have it narrowed down to the VS and the 00, maybe even the VSX even though I have read mixed reviews with it. Ultimately I like the 00 but I have only test rode the VS with Kium rails. It felt great but I'm wondering if the 00 would feel just as good and save on some weight and sagging over time. I'm still uncertain and haven't rode enough saddles to tell if the center channel stuff actually works or if it's just marketing.

tinozee

by tinozee

Center channel stuff works, but the width of the nose makes a lot of difference depending on your anatomy. I'd love to see fizik make something similar to the ISM saddles, only lighter and better looking.

Photosynthesis

by Photosynthesis

rijndael wrote:The Fizik Versus (VS) channel is not that deep, but the Versus X (VXS) is deep.

Does anyone have any experience with the VSX compared to the VS?

racersir

by racersir

I've used the manganese version, the Kium and the braided version, can't really tell the difference between the 3 of them. I've haven't used the 00 version so I can't comment there but this is by far my favorite saddle and I weight 81 kg. Only complaint I could make I broke the shell once when I took a pothole at about 45km that was the Kium version but very comfortable saddle in my opinion

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com