Road Drop Bar End Extension?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

indywagon

by indywagon

I really like the 3T Ergonova handlebars, but the drops do not extend back as far as I would like. Does anybody know if there is such a thing as an extension for road bars that would add an inch or two to the length of the drops? Or have a good idea of how to make one?

Thanks,
Chris

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I made extensions for my MTB handlebar by turning plugs from Delrin/POM on the lathe, but I only added 10mm, and they are under grips that are quite stiff and aren't really under a lot of stess.

With drops extensions, and that length, you need to connect them structurally to the bar, and maybe strenghten the bar itself as well. I wouldn't do it.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

How long of an extension?

Marin

by Marin

indywagon wrote:an inch or two

eric

by eric

You could use bar end shifters.

It's not difficult for a machinst to make some extensions. I'd use aluminium and make it stepped so it fit inside the bar, and fit it in an inch or so.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

It would be a quick job for a machinist as Eric mentioned. I'd use Aluminum or Delrin. You can glue it in with epoxy. I'd recommend some golf club shaft epoxy. It works great on bar extensions I've used.

indywagon

by indywagon

I'm also a golfer and I build clubs. The extension for graphite golf shafts is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for - that could be epoxied in place. I've actually thought about getting several extensions, slicing them lengthwise, then glue them back together around a mandrel or something to make a larger diameter extension... but I wish there was something designed for the purpose.

Chris

bombertodd

by bombertodd

You could probably use a wooden dowel that will fit into the bar end. Build up the diameter with grip tape to match the bar.

I used to play a lot of golf but not so much anymore.

indywagon

by indywagon

Yeah, I also thought about putting a wooden dowel the outside diameter of the bars on a lathe and turning down one end so that it could be epoxied into the bar end and trimmed toe the desired length. I doubt that would be a very sturdy bond though.

Slagter

by Slagter

Why would you extend a drop bar?

I mean, have you tried different stem(length/rise) and drop bar (compact/noncompact) combinations?

If the drop bar is to far away, you could try with a shorter stem!!

em3

by em3

+1...sounds like a potential fit issue. However, there are some compact shape bars with drops that extend further then others e.g. FSA Compact seems to have the longest drops I have seen on any bar.
EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Guys and girls,

If you want to reply, please use the reply button. In this topic I ran into 4 quotes that were used to reply.
Please think of that.

Many thanks!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!