$75 to save a quarter pound in the seat area. Is it safe?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

My current setup: seatpost 239 grams. Saddle 180 grams, clamp, 18. = 437

eBay carbon fiber post/seat/clamp bundle 180/110/15 = 305

Savings = 132 gr (.29 lbs)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Matt-MTB ... 2ecf78d48f

I was searching for a lighter seatpost and came across the combo. But it's no-name gear. What are the experiences of weenies with inexpensive carbon shell saddles?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

Edit/ sorry, missed some info. post deleted.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

It just depends what your riding style is like.
Some portlier figures can be light on gear, and some flyweights can break anything they touch....

If you want to go down the lighter weight but dont want to break the bank balance route, i'd suggest
Hylix for the seat post. Normally found on ebay. 180g- 400mm (27.2)
Flyxii for the saddle. Buy direct. 106g for a full carbon slr copy.

Both reasonable quality and the full carbon saddle is as comfortable as my AX lightness endurance.
You will need a set of oval ears for the seatpost though if you buy the above combo. Easily bought from Trek dealers.

Not had much luck with carbon clamps- save your moneyand buy a Ti bolt for the one you have 8)
Official cafe stop tester

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Thanks for the advice. I figured the clamp I have doesn't need to lose weight. It was the seatpost that I figured I could make some gains on.

I will check out the products you mentioned.

Marin

by Marin

The parts will be bombproof. I have that saddle (116 grams), and a 176 gram 27.2 seatpost.

The saddle sounds like a ceramic tile when you knock on it, and is slightly less comfortable than one. The shape is fine, but it has absolutely no flex.

The 27.2 post that came with my ICAN FM066sl also has very little flex, at least compared to a cheap 27.2 alu post I have on my singlespeed. I suspect the 31.6 post will be even stiffer.

So the setup will probably be super harsh.

I would suggest at least getting an SLR or similar saddle (used?) instead which will be lot more comfortable.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Marin, Thanks. I already have a 180 gram SLR (advertised weight 165) saddle, so I don't really NEED to trim the fat there too much.

The SLR replaces my Airone, that was 255 grams. I picked up the SLR on ebay for $30, but haven't put in any time on it, to check comfort.

Jekyllman, I was looking at the Hylix seatpost you recommend on eBay. The offset one I'd need claims to be compatible with 7x9 oval rails.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

My SLRs have 135 grams - too close to the 116 of the full carbon monster for me.