Foot Pain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lewis

by Lewis

Please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place.

Basically I haven't ridden for a while (about three months) but previously was riding a sh*t ton. Started again yesterday riding to work, and bam, foot pain again. Also had it previously but it would kind of come and go. It's only the right foot that I experience this is in, and it's always the same place. It stems down on the outer side of the foot kinda along the tendon from my little toe. Have no idea why and it really is crippling. Anyone had any similar experiences or have any suggestions on prevention (besides not cycling!)

Thanks guys.

Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I have the similar problem with my one foot too. There is no pain, but I am losing the sense of the finger after sometimes regardless the weather conditions.
It happens when it is really hot or freezing cold.

I believe this is about shoe fitting, since we don't have symmetrical foots. One foot is a bit bigger and getting more pressure in shoe...
Because I can ride like that, I didn't bother on it much, but this information can be a good start point for you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Yes, it sounds like a problem I suffered through for a while after purchasing some comparably narrow Carnac Ellipses many years ago. My foot was just too wide and the sole was scalloped up at the sides a tiny bit. This caused the bones in the feet to be pushed together - agonising after long rides. Moved to a shimano (wide) - problem solved.

First step - remove inner sole and check the cleat bolts aren't pushing through (even slightly).

Second step - consult with a professional.

Cheers,
I

Lewis

by Lewis

Thanks guys. I previously rode Shimano and had the same issue, currently using Giro with the proper insole kit but I do feel it's something to do with the width. Sometimes I don't suffer from it but that's when the shoe feels a bit loose on the foot. However that's not good for control when riding! Not sure what to do and whether different pedals or shoes would help.

2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I have pretty wide feet, and though my issue was hotspots, I've found both shoes and pedals help. Shoes have made a bigger difference, but pedals have helped incrementally. Although there's still some residual pain, it's manageable. I have Lake wide shoes and Look Blade pedals. The Blades are noticeably more comfortable than the Keo. That was surprising.

Lewis

by Lewis

I currently have look keo plus pedals and have been looking at the blades as they are wider. Also the OCD on me would benefit as mine are scratched up after a crash! Might try different pedals first then possibly shoes. Argh more money on cycling stuff...

2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I had the same exact issue and thought maybe it was the shoe but ended up repositioning my cleat a few millimeters and the pain disappeared. Do that first before changing pedals because I thought the same thing with my Zeros.

Lewis

by Lewis

Thanks pal. Did you move it in towards the crank arm or the other way?

2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

boots2000

by boots2000

I would call width.
But you also want to look at cleat position. Are feet too narrow? When this is the case you tend to push your foot out to try to make it go wider.
Also arch support and wedges. If you are pushing the outside, often times a varus wedge will make the foot pressure feel more even.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I'm no expert on feet like Tinea Pedis is, but i'd say it is about the shoe and your insole. Correct me if i'm wrond, but I guess you need a insole that spreads your metatarsals.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

RimClencher

by RimClencher

If it's a width problem you could try sticking something inside the shoe to stretch out the upper material. I had/have a problem with wide feet but managed to solve it that way. Needs to be really shoved in there though and left for a while to actually stretch the fabric. Otherwise, I've read Bont shoes have a wide base and can be heat-moulded at home.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

[quote="Lewis"]Thanks pal. Did you move it in towards the crank arm or the other way?

It has to be adjusted forward towards the toe or backwards towards the heel. This is something I realized even with my small narrow foot on a non carbon sole that could potentially flex if the position is wrong. In my case on my right foot only I had the cleat too far forward (I followed the Speedplay directions). Causing more pain in the toe area of the shoe because the cleat was not positioned over the ball of my foot correctly. The same can be had for too far back which can cause pain in the arch of your foot. What I have learned is to treat each foot different as far as cleat position till you get to the comfort zone.

Lewis

by Lewis

Thanks guys. Lots of informative info here. I already have the proper giro insoles as initially I thought it was the lack of arch support causing the problem. Ok, so I rode home tonight and set the centre strap much less tight than normal. Almost loose in fact. But end strap and ankle strap as normal. No foot pain so must be something to do with pressure across the centre of the foot related to with. Will also try adjusting the cleats as this may help.

boots2000 wrote:I would call width.
But you also want to look at cleat position. Are feet too narrow? When this is the case you tend to push your foot out to try to make it go wider.
Also arch support and wedges. If you are pushing the outside, often times a varus wedge will make the foot pressure feel more even.

Perhaps moving the cleat to the right (when looking down from the top) may assist as it may be an issue that I'm pushing down but out at the same time, therefore applying pressure to the outside edge of the foot. Could be that too.

shoemakerpom2010 wrote:
Lewis wrote:Thanks pal. Did you move it in towards the crank arm or the other way?

It has to be adjusted forward towards the toe or backwards towards the heel. This is something I realized even with my small narrow foot on a non carbon sole that could potentially flex if the position is wrong. In my case on my right foot only I had the cleat too far forward (I followed the Speedplay directions). Causing more pain in the toe area of the shoe because the cleat was not positioned over the ball of my foot correctly. The same can be had for too far back which can cause pain in the arch of your foot. What I have learned is to treat each foot different as far as cleat position till you get to the comfort zone.

Ok cheers I think I will have to try making some adjustments. Thanks guys :)

2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

drmutley

by drmutley

The first thing to assess is how u sit on the saddle... Are u square? Given u have asymmetrical symptoms, ie only one foot involved then u have assymetry somewhere in your setup. If your comfortable that u sit perfectly square on the saddle then look at your cleat position.

Read this article for the background on how to setup your cleats. Just remember if u make fore/aft adjustments to your cleats then u will need to adjust saddle height accordingly assuming u have the correct saddle height now..,.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... h-support/

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bik ... 2-wedging/

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... -position/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewis

by Lewis

Hmm I do get a sore left sit bone so perhaps shuffle a little and don't sit spot on but that's going away a bit with more cycling. I've been off the bike for a while you see.

2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0