Foot Pain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

this is a good read.. thanks OP for posting.. because i had the same issue and my right foot pinky was in pain after a 86 miles ride. i use to wear specialized shoe but too narrow in front. switched to Giro and much better but might be too narrow in front or my insole is off.

Dammit

by Dammit

Are you chaps getting the pain on the outside of your feet, or from "inside" the foot?

If the latter, might be Mortons neuroma, I've had then taken out of both my left and right feet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Mine is on both outside and inside. After last weekend ride.. even when showering... droplets of water onto my pinky toe hurts like a biatch..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Lewis

by Lewis

addictR1 wrote:this is a good read.. thanks OP for posting.. because i had the same issue and my right foot pinky was in pain after a 86 miles ride. i use to wear specialized shoe but too narrow in front. switched to Giro and much better but might be too narrow in front or my insole is off.

No problem.

Mine is the outside of my foot down from the 'pinkie'! I did 100 miles last weekend and it was ok, whereas on my ride to work last week it was sore again. Also it's randomly sensitive in bed sometimes but I think this is a result of the cycling possibly damaging it. It has to be my shoes. I notice if I slacken off the shoe it tends to go away, but then the shoe doesn't feel as secure as it should on the foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Whenever you are hurting your pinkie toe, it sounds like you need proper arch support. This provides your feet with sufficient support to prevent them from ' collapsing' and pushing the pinkie toe outward.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

I had this issue.
A 90min visit to a proper bike fitter fixed it.
It wasn't the bike that was asymetrical...it was me!

In my particular case it was about 18 degrees of verus (sp?) canting in my right foot (vs about 11deg on the left).
quick test is to sit on the edge of a table or high chair in front of a mirror, relax, and observe your feet's natural resting position (unloaded). The natural tendency of the foot is not to sit flat whilst suspended, but to cant slightly to the outside (or inside I suppose). When this canting is significant, you will end up with a pressure point when clipped in, which starts to hurt over time.

There are a few approaches to fixing this.
The first fitter I went to shimmed the living daylights out of my cleat (among other changes), and i did note an immediate significant improvement.
However, I was later told that this was a particular approach that some are starting to move away from. Evidently that "bandaid solution" masks the problem, and doesn't help correct it (perhaps encourages it actually). Now, if you need just a couple shims, you might be fine, but i had a tonne of em.
Another fitting a year later and all the shims were removed, but some adjustments made to the bike. Again, no foot pain, and I felt great on the bike.
So I guess the moral to the story is, go see a good bike fitter. Someone with a background in sportsmed/phsyiology if possible.
2013 CAAD 10 105
My wallet gets more weight-weenie by the day.

addictR1

by addictR1

Frankie: i think you are right. my friend whom is a sport therapist and a cyclist also suggest the same. i seem to have a very low arch support, but my giro shoes has S, M, L arch. i'm currently using the S...not sure if i should change to M?

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I'd try the medium since you already have it. According to Steve Hogg (bike fitter) your shoes should have enough arch support that they feel a little intrusive while standing up on the floor.

Heck, you put the spares in your jersey and see how each one feels and swap them out during the ride.

addictR1

by addictR1

Thanks bombertodd...

Lewis

by Lewis

Thanks guys. I do have the giro arch support system and currently have the largest one in there. As said if I ease the middle strap off the pain does t manifest so it may be something to do with width. A visit to a bike for place would t go amiss either I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

addictR1

by addictR1

I've been using the medium on both side, but more switched to large for the right side and loosen the mid and forward strap a bit. Well try and see for a whole to see if pinky toe hurts or not.