$1,000 to spend on a race frame <1,000g - suggestions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jhobbs123

by Jhobbs123

Hi Guys

After some advice on a new frame, got around £4-500/ $850 to spend. Wondering what you guys would recommend?

Looking to get into racing so thinking something carbon and as light as poss. Got 105 group set to go in it and looking to get some Chinese carbon wheels. Was recommended this site by a friend, so hope you guys can help me out.

Many thanks

Josh

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

I'd start off looking at something like the Hongfu frames or go down the Light Aluminium route..

shlammed

by shlammed

I will suggest finding a good used carbon frame. Some people will suggest otherwise, but if you want to sell the bike later on-a name brand frame built up will be much easier to sell.

Watch eBay. there should be lots to choose from in that price range.
Beyond that, figure out your sizing first based on your measurements and find a frame that fits you and your riding style best. I would easily give up a pound for a bike that is more comfortable from fit than a baller frame that doesn't suit my style.

Svetty

by Svetty

Cheap UK carbon frames:

Ribble
Planet X
Merlin

Xbay - just make sure you inspect it well before parting with your cash :)

sijray21

by sijray21

I personally prefer lightweight aluminum. I've had great luck with going cheap/light with my aluminum frameset builds. Some cheaper lightweight aluminum framesets I've had experiences with in your price range:

Felt F75 or FA frameset (i'm currently using a 2012 FA frameset and very happy with it) -- with my build I have it just under 17lbs with mostly SRAM Red (pre 2012) and very stiff
Cannondale CAAD9/10 (my old frameset - light and stiff and around 18lbs with a mostly SRAM Rival build)
Specialized Allez (some of my teammates use this, although I personally don't like Specialized that much)

I bought my FA frameset used for $500 and my new CAAD9 frameset on eBay for $550. The extra money you can use for other things to make your bike lighter/nicer. I found carbon more comfortable, but less responsive and heavier unless you spend closer to the $1200-$1600 for a frameset (new). I'm sure you can find a used carbon frameset for your price range though.

Jhobbs123

by Jhobbs123

Cheers guys.

I'll check out eBay see what I can find

CBJ

by CBJ

Make sure you get a bike that fit. I made a big mistake buying a bike that did not fit me last year.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

What size are you looking for?

Jhobbs123

by Jhobbs123

Looking for a 56cm frame,

can't seem to look past the hong fu ect. frames a lot of frame for your money, just the warranty I'm worried about

dogg

by dogg

not sure about the specific conditions but their warranty is "2 years under normal use" (if you weren't already aware)

n808

by n808

I have a short list of frames I am looking for on eBay. Aluminum is not an option for me, I think - tired of the relatively stiff ride of my current one. I have read they are smoother these days though.

Scott Addict R1, one is available on eBay, wrong size. (SL 2008, SL2014, yeah, right;)
Scott Foil (not for me though, I dislike the custom seatpost and lack of seat tube above top tube)
Felt F1 (one was available, but wrong size)
Cannondale Supersix Evo (too expensive)
Nothing with integrated seatposts, as I have long legs and these won't fit me.
So I guess I'll be looking for a really long while unless I get a Chinese frame (FM066SL, R-016) to carry me over until I find a brand name frame.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm surprised my suggestion on the Raleigh Militis was so quickly overlooked. It's a VERY competitive frame, my 55cm weighs ~930g, and they can be had used for under $1k. The Toray carbon on the bike is beautiful, it handles fantastic, and rides significantly better/smoother than my SL2 Tarmac or Felt F3 did.

n808

by n808

Thx - looks nice! I have added it to my list of frames to look for.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

darnellrm

by darnellrm

It's Hard to beat the old Addicts! ( I have 5 of them at the moment! )

I have a 56cm R3 HMX frameset ( uses 31.6 seatpost and threaded BB ) that I can let you have for under your budget. The frameset weighs 815g stripped and fork is under 300g. I just picked up another R2 with ISP that I am going to build up, so I will let the R3 go.

Let me know if you are interested,

Roy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

n808

by n808

Thanks for offering, but I really need 58cm, and then I am stretching the seatpost - inseam 93cm [36.6"] (seat height - BB center 82.12cm - Lemond method, which works well for me). I am only 184cm (6ft) tall, very short upper body, so I can't go above 58cm either, or the reach gets way too long. If I could have used 56cm I would have bought the awesome 56cm 720gr claimed, Felt F1 Team Argos that sold yesterday, but it had a headtube only 140mm, and that would have been much too low with my seat that high. I need at least 175mm HT, my 58cm Allez Pro is 195mm. My budget is not strictly limited to $1000, as the OP title, but I wasn't planning on much more either, so both limited by budget and weird form factor, I'll be patient and keep looking.

I got a 2012 Scott Scale Pro MTB 29er a while back, which I put CX tires on for now, so when I need a comfy ride, that's what I'll use. That's sadly also the reason I realized my 2004 Specialized is not as comfy as I thought for many years - I must have gotten spoiled and carbon-addicted, and a weight weenie as well..