Over-spec'd hub set?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Considering building up a set of open mould new profile carbon tubulars 24/28 in the 40-56mm rim height range. Thinking about a set of White Industries T11 hubs - one of my favorite sets. Wondering if that would be under-utilizing such a nice hub and whether I should use something like BHS, Novatec or Circus Monkey grade hubs instead.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pam

by pam

The rims you use doesn't seem to play any role in the difference in experience these hubs will give you? Unless you are wondering if you personally will be underutilizing the hubs, in which case I agree, most people don't see any benefit from the price premium of heavy American made hubs so they save money with Taiwanese parts.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I think the T11s could be a great option for your build. I've found that they aren't nearly as popular on Weight Weenies seeing as they come in a bit heavy at 345 grams for the hubset. Aside from that though they're extremely durable, and super easy to service when that time finally does come. And the fact that they come in a full color lineup now really seals the deal for me. For the price I don't think there's any hubset out there that can beat them.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

pam wrote:The rims you use doesn't seem to play any role in the difference in experience these hubs will give you? Unless you are wondering if you personally will be underutilizing the hubs, in which case I agree, most people don't see any benefit from the price premium of heavy American made hubs so they save money with Taiwanese parts.

yes, that was really the question -- overkill/more expensive that the value delivered.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

345g is not that heavy. Much lighter hubs will increasing tend to have comprimises built into them. The T11 have no comprimises which I like. Dura Ace are similar in this regard also Royce but some would consider those paper weight at 430g, I think they are just right. What you notice in a wheelset is low weight rims not low weight hubs.

eric

by eric

Besides the other benefits of the Whites listed above, they roll very well.
And the Ti freehub can handle large solo cogs without notching.

The decision comes down to do you value durability and low rolling resistance more, or light weight and lower price more?

teleguy57

by teleguy57

eric wrote:Besides the other benefits of the Whites listed above, they roll very well.
And the Ti freehub can handle large solo cogs without notching.

The decision comes down to do you value durability and low rolling resistance more, or light weight and lower price more?

Oh, I've had WI before and really have liked them. I'm leaning toward getting a set, then if I don't like the wheels with whatever carbon tubular rims I end up getting (that's a whole 'nuther thread so won't go there) I'll still have a set of awesome hubs.

If only I could find a set of 24/28 H2/H3 for Campy; I do like those aesthetics better than the T11s...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com