Cable Setup for Beaded Housing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MNX1024

by MNX1024

So, does anyone cross their cables when setting up beaded housings such as Nokon, AICAN, Alligator, and Powercordz Swift?

Do you run them in front of the bar or behind the bar?

Do you do it to have them perform properly or it didn't matter with any of the setup?

What's your favorite combination when setting up beaded housings, and why?

sungod

by sungod

no

internal routing on my bars

this is the only way i've used nokon

nokon + powercordz liner + powercordz - because the nokon liner isn't as good as the pc one

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Here is the setup that I put together with Nokon cables and Nokon liners and have zero issues. The nice part about these setups is you can shorten or lengthen the cables to your liking very easy. This setup shifts flawless on 6700 shifters and derailleurs.

http://flic.kr/p/kPDEea

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Thanks, I'm looking at going to beaded housing. Your pic is very helpful.

Do you have problems turning the handlebars all the way to the right, or do you avoid doing that? It looks like the rear brake cable would get hung up. I ask, because this is how I get the bike in the back seat of my car.

Click-free.....
shoemakerpom2010 wrote: .....Image

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I measured out the length exactly by adding and subtracting beads until I was happy with turning the bars to the angle to put the bike in my van. That's the best thing about the system your not stuck with one length. :thumbup:

MNX1024

by MNX1024

For those who does not have a internal cable frame, do you guys run the liner straight through the exposed part or do you just end the liner at the cable stop? Would running them through the expose portion have any detriment on performance?

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I have the liner running from shifter to the derailleur no brake anywhere and shifting is spot on. Same with the brakes. That way there are no points for grit to enter.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'm running two bikes with Nokons, one with crossed cables under the DT, one without (came from the shop like this). Would definitely recommend crossing, the cables have a smoother bend.

My handlebars only have a cable groove, under the tape I'm running a piece of plain Shimano cable housing. Same inside the top tube on the one bike where it's internal. The transition spot might cause friction though, there might be room for some improvement.

Are you guys running Nokons under the tape?

MNX1024

by MNX1024

When installing the liners, concerning the length, should the the length be that the liner stays within the beads or the liner should extend to outside the beads?

emorydptt

by emorydptt

The liners extend past the length of the beads. The beds are 'held' together by the cable liner themselves. I also like to cross shifter cables under the downtube.
good luck
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Currently setting up Swift from Powercordz. When the cables is at it's tightest for the rear shifting, am I suppose to see compression on the housing entering the derailleur, especially a huge amount of it where the housing isn't straight anymore?