Which torque recommendation?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

When clamping parts together with different torque recommendation, which do you use? For example, clamping a stem to a bar. Stem has a torque recco of 4nm and the bars has 5nm. Which do you go with?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

i always use carbon paste...and in your case, i would go with the lower only when using the paste for assembly.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Jepas

by Jepas

You should always use the lowest value, otherwise you may damage the "weakest link" of the assembly.

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

A torque specification for a handlebar is nonsensical; a bar has no threaded parts.

I wrote a little post a few years ago answering this question in detail:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66911&start=5

If you're in tl;dr mode: use carbon paste on the bar/clamp interface, thoroughly grease the stem bolts and tighten them to the stem spec of 4 N-m. Remember to snug the bolts against the clamp until they're finger tight and then apply those 4 N-m in sequence and slowly. In other words, turn each clamp bolt roughly one turn at a time, alternating in an X-shaped pattern.

Cheers,

Jason

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks folks. My example was made up, but in the manual for my Zipp SL bars it does indicate a max torque for it. I've also seen other carbon parts without threaded parts to have torque limits. That's what I was asking about. But it was answered. I will use the lower number. Thanks.

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

drainyoo wrote:in the manual for my Zipp SL bars it does indicate a max torque for it. I've also seen other carbon parts without threaded parts to have torque limits.

<Jobst>

Specifying a torque value for a non-threaded part hints strongly at incompetent engineering. (Or, more charitably, a moment of extreme engineering sloppiness).

A torque value is meaningless without thread pitch. This is equivalent to specifying a maximum speed in meters. In both cases, the value is means nothing on its own and more information is required.

</Jobst>

I'm glad you found the information you needed. While using the lower torque value, I'd still check very carefully to ensure that all parts are secure. At best, a handlebar that slips while riding is irritating. At worst, it causes a crash.

Cheers,

Jason

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks Jason. Got it. So using carbon paste essentially let's you apply less torque to the bolts and still get a secure grip?

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Yes; carbon assembly paste inhibits slipping. I'd use it on bar/stem and seatpost/frame interfaces if slipping was a problem without it.

For what it's worth, carbon paste is essentially grease with very fine sand in it. Theoretically, you could easily make your own.

Cheers,

Jason

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Awesome. Thanks.

em3

by em3

Do not confuse MAX torque with recommended torque...two very different specs. This topic has been covered comprehensively on this forum in several previous threads. EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com