Gluing a EPS battery mount on a frame...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

Bought Record EPS for my Parlee Z5, which of course is not set up for electronic shifting. I've run the cables and it looks ok (not perfect, but acceptable). The big issue is that I have no good place to put the battery. I was working on a mount for behind the saddle, but that's becoming too complicated. So I was thinking, can I just glue the non-traditional mount on to the frame? What kind of adhesive can I safely use on CF and will it have enough holding power not to release during a ride on rough roads? Ideally, the battery would be under the down tube.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Interesting idea.

Back when SRM used wires, I used to glue-on sensors with my wife's hot-glue gun. That was very solid. I would bet that it would work for a Canpagnolo EPS battery. Once you got a really good bond on the base of the battery, you would need to put a thick bead around the outside edge, too. I don't think it would look too good, but it would be pretty solid and could be later removed without damaging the frame or finish.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Isn't there a mount for the bottle cages? like and extension?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have attempted this when I attached my v1 battery to my Selle Italia CX Zero Teknologika saddle. I used the small mount and glued the mount [epoxy] to the all carbon saddle. I sanded the mount, cleaned the underside of the saddle [sanded it up a bit too]. All so both items had a place for the epoxy to 'grip'. I also used a bit of carbon fiber to take up any gaps so there was a nice solid surface for maximum hold. Clamped together for a week for maximum curing.

It lasted a whole .4 miles. On one small bump [rail road tracks] the mount came unglued and I was riding my bike home from the main voyage [back up a 15% hill] with the power unit dangling in the back.

Very short ride for the main voyage. I elected to drill a small hole and epoxied the mount. The second way ended being better and has lasted for a year. The bike now has a v2 battery.

So to answer your question, I have had no luck gluing the aluminium mount carbon fiber without some old school hardware [ie screws].

audiojan

by audiojan

The bottle cage mount is not an option… The EPS V1 battery is large enough that I can only fit one bottle cage and then only if I mount it on the secondary holes (in the cage that is), which means only a small bottle. That's just not going to cut it for the hot summer rides...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

mattr

by mattr

Would something like sugru work?
I'm about to start experimenting with it, and from what I can see, it seems to be pretty robust.
Www.sugru.com

lannes

by lannes

Strap the power unit holder using 3M automotive double sided tape and thin zip ties

audiojan

by audiojan

Like the idea of the double sided tape.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

3M VHB tape is probably the strongest out there. Not sure if it's strong enough to hold a V1 bat pack but am using it to hold Garmin speed/cadence sensor.

mattr

by mattr

I'm using vhb to hold a speed controller into an RC buggy. Drops of 6 foot to flat at 30+mph aren't unusual.
Neither is crashing at significantly more than 30mph.

If you can get two decent matching surfaces, and prep them well, it's not likely to come loose. But if heat helps it go off too. (Ideally needs 24 hours to cure.)

audiojan

by audiojan

Made a bracket this morning… Basically, just a piece of steel bent to fit the profile of the bottom bracket and fastened to the battery with a screw and to the frame with the screw holding the cable guide. Actually much sturdier than I though it would be! Now I just need to figure out how to tuck away the excess cables.

mattr

by mattr

lannes wrote:Strap the power unit holder using 3M automotive double sided tape and thin zip ties
which automotive tape? We use at least half a dozen different grades, depending on application. The strongest is the VHB mentioned below.

sharkman

by sharkman

there is not one single product called Vhb. If you look in the 3m catolog you'll see they offer severall versions, all with different characteristics. I normally use the sort that also work under lower tempatures and use a adhesive enhancer on both surfaces since just vhb on not perfectly smooth carbon won't hold too long. With a few piece of this stuff I stuck a large spoiler on the boot of a car and after several years and speeds over 150 mph it stil is on.
Downside is that vhb is made for professional use and only available in lagers quantities.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com