New Microshift

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Charles,

I wouldn't say so though. The way the Taiwanese press/news coverage for anything remotely new by the local companies is somewhat similar to what you see at Interbike ... small little things get praised to the high heavens- as long as they are local, even if its no big deal at all. They had a much higher exposure level for their Arsis range debut a few years back, but comparatively, this is a much more mature product comparatively after trying them out at the stand. Hence, it was kind of weird that they had so little coverage / exposure at the show.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vdrey

by vdrey

Here is more of a front-on view.

I must say, I don't really mind the aesthetics of it...it looks similar to SRAM.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

vdrey

by vdrey

Anyone see the new groups for sale?

I've looked but haven't seen it anywhere.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

CharlesM

by CharlesM

maxxevv wrote:Charles,

I wouldn't say so though. The way the Taiwanese press/news coverage for anything remotely new by the local companies is somewhat similar to what you see at Interbike ... small little things get praised to the high heavens- as long as they are local, even if its no big deal at all. They had a much higher exposure level for their Arsis range debut a few years back, but comparatively, this is a much more mature product comparatively after trying them out at the stand. Hence, it was kind of weird that they had so little coverage / exposure at the show.

Their older product never measured up. That they've managed to knock off a SRAM Campy ergonomic is worse yet.

There have been a few folks that have tried to rebadge the older stuff and at days end, the function was simply poor as new and durability wasn't a strong point with a team that was using it in the US.

I tried a couple of versions and it was inferior to the lowest quality groups by any of the 3 major suppliers.

It sounds like there are a couple of big fans of the company here, but I wouldn't build a bike with any of their existing product if it were given to me for free... I would run 5 year old used Force or 105 or centaur and be loads happier with function and more trusting in the durability.

vdrey

by vdrey

I know there stuff isn't as good as the top of the line stuff from the big 3, but my one experience with their products has been quite good so far.

Last summer I replaced a Ultegra 6500 RD with a lower end microshift RD, and not only is the shifting as good as the Ultegra, it far better.

The microshift RD now has a bit less than a year of use on it and it is still going strong.

If I were building a bike that where my goal was to have a high-end bike, I would go with one of the big 3, but for a lower-end, or for a bike that will be used (a travel/gravel/CX bike), it seems like a great way to save both money and weight.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Cable pull is sram compatible for shifters or only Shimano? I want to build a cross bike and I have some sram red derailleurs lying around...

vdrey

by vdrey

I think it is Shimano only

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Crescent

by Crescent

Production has been delayed for the middle of 2015. Hopefully this means they will be releasing it with new Shimano FD compatibility, prototypes shown at trade fairs showa conventional short arm FD. No word on weight, they plan on making Arsis and Centos versions in both 10 and 11 speed, with Shimano compatibility.

Shifting is like Campagnolo Ultra-shift. There will now be two companies producing shifters where you can shift multiple gears in both directions, and it is almost certain the pricing will be below Athena Power-Shift models. 1-3 gear upshift (smaller cog, higher gear) and 1-4 gear downshift (larger cog, lower gear). Although unsightly, the reshaped thumb lever shield make it easier to reach in the drops for people with smaller hands. For those wondering about patent implications, the first ergos were in 1992, over 20 years ago.

In the past, Microshift RDs have been competitively light because of an aluminum hanger bolt and an aluminum cage on all their high end models, despite not being as refined. The shifters should also be competitive in weight because Campagnolo's Ultra-shift design tends to be light weight and microshift has used the light weight of shifters as a selling point in the past. Centos 11 looks to be poised to offer some serious competition to people who want the weight savings and multi-shifting function of Campagnolo, but don't want to go Campy because of price or compatibility.

Certainly, despite owning some Campy myself, it's been scratched off the list of new potential purchases for me because of this.