Can Shimano RD-9000 work with Ultegra CS-6800 32T cassette?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tomhagger

by tomhagger

So if you want to run 32 you have to get an ultegra rear mech?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

Your options are:

1) Try the RD-90x0 and see if it works well enough. This will likely depend on how big a jump your front rings have, your frame geometry, its derailleur hanger, and your tolerance for slower shifting.

2) Stick on a RD-68x0 GS, which handles up to 32.

3) if using Di2, use an XTR RD-9050 GS or SGS (this gets you up to 40T rear cassettes IIRC)

4) Swap a RD-6800 GS cage onto your RD-90x0, and live with the alloy cage.

rma

by rma

I have a RD-9070 and tested a 32T cassette yesterday (on the bike stand only). It works, but you have to set the B-screw all the in so that the upper pulley don't touch the cassette. Another thing, the big chaingring and big sprocket combination looks like something will break! hahahaha... Other combinations works.

tomhagger

by tomhagger

4) Swap a RD-6800 GS cage onto your RD-90x0, and live with the alloy cage.

Would that affect the shifting at all?

aaric

by aaric

It should shift at least as well as the medium cage RD-68x0.

The only possible difference is if the GS version of the RD-68x0 tracks across the cassette at a different slope so that it stays closer at the bottom of the cage. I assume it wouldn't be worth their tooling costs to have separate parts, but it'd be interesting to take the SS and GS versions and measure them to see though. The bodies of the derailleurs are also just stamped RD-6800, so I assume they are the same between ss and gs versions.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

The RD bodies will be identical. The difference is really in the subtle geometry tweaks of the cages ( Besides it being obviously longer ).

benhama

by benhama

My wife wanted to run an 11-32 cassette instead of a 11-28 cassette on her Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0, running Ultegra 6870 Di2. Having read the posts on this thread and sending an email to Canyon I can confirm that her short cage rear mech can run the cassette, without the need of the GS cage, longer chain or different hanger. Having installed the new cassette, all that was required was to wind the B screw in a few turns. All gears run fine, even the 50T – 32T & 34T – 11T.

This post was just to thank the contributors of this thread to give me the insight and confidence to have a go. It saved me a fortune in changing mechs, chains etc., so thank you.

rma

by rma

Nice. Two weeks ago I did a uphill sufferfest race (132km, 4000m ascent, two 15+km climbs with the last one peaking 23% for 1km). I used the 11-32 with the SS RD-9070 and it worked great (b-tension screw set all the way in)... The 50x34 combo was used a few times when distracted... worked fine

kermit

by kermit

benhama wrote:My wife wanted to run an 11-32 cassette instead of a 11-28 cassette on her Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0, running Ultegra 6870 Di2. Having read the posts on this thread and sending an email to Canyon I can confirm that her short cage rear mech can run the cassette, without the need of the GS cage, longer chain or different hanger. Having installed the new cassette, all that was required was to wind the B screw in a few turns. All gears run fine, even the 50T – 32T & 34T – 11T.

This post was just to thank the contributors of this thread to give me the insight and confidence to have a go. It saved me a fortune in changing mechs, chains etc., so thank you.

Would this also work for the ULTIMATE CF SL 9.0 DI2 or the Endurace CF 9.0 SL?

these bikes seem such a great value. I am torn between dura ace mechanic and the ultegra DI2 - altough I think that ultegra mechanic is all one need....

benhama

by benhama

Kermit, I see no reason why not. My only concern would be chain length. My wife's bike runs a 50/34 chainset, whereas I believe the Canyon models you are looking at run 52/36 chainsets. At then end of the day go to your LBS and see if they have a 11-32 you can try. It will all become very clear then!

kermit

by kermit

benhama wrote:Kermit, I see no reason why not. My only concern would be chain length. My wife's bike runs a 50/34 chainset, whereas I believe the Canyon models you are looking at run 52/36 chainsets. At then end of the day go to your LBS and see if they have a 11-32 you can try. It will all become very clear then!

I also mailed Canyon (Belgium) and they replied that I should change the derailleur... Maybe they just don't want to take the risk.

benhama

by benhama

If you change the rear mech, then you will definately need a new / longer chain to allow for the longer mech. If you want to take a slightly cheaper chance if your LBS doesn't want to assist, then just buy the 105 cassette rather than the Ultegra one. On line stores like Merlin Cycles offer good prices.

chanthony

by chanthony

Works!!

boots2000 wrote:I just installed a 6800 11-32 cassette on my bike with 9000.
Seems to shift up into the 32 with no problem.
I did not even change the chain length- though I do run my chain slightly longer than
Shimano spec (I use the small/small to set my chain length).
The only possible issue that I can see is that you would want to make sure not to go big-big crosschain.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Does anyone know if a OneUp RADr cage would work with a road derailleur or have even tried it yourself? The offset pulley wheels should help with clearance against the large sprocket, assuming it can be mounted to a road derailleur at all.

I run a RD-9000-SS setup which is perfectly fine here in flat Sweden but I fear my weak legs will be screaming for that 32T sprocket when I go to the l'Etape du Tour sportive in the alps this summer so trying to figure out the best solution for this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

FWIW, I got a 6800 medium cage to shift a 11-36 cassette (10 speed, as a test)). I'll be getting a proper 11 speed one now that I know that it works.