HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:19 pm 

velonista wrote:

Is there any reason why your tests don't include a single "knock-off" Chinese carbon stem?

I'm guessing it's because fair wheel bikes doesn't stock or sell them? FWB is a store not Tour magazine. They really don't have any obligation to test every single item on the planet, especially if it encourages you to purchase a product from another vendor.

Having said that, I am disappointed there's no testing of Ritchey wcs 4 axis alloy version to see if the god awful faceplate design of the c260 has any merit on actually improving stiffness.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:44 pm 

Why would anyone in their right mind buy a fake or knock-off bike component? To save money? That's just ridiculous, especially since you can get real, good quality parts with RD and warranties behind them for affordable prices.

I think it would be absurd to include fakes in a test like this. They're irrelevant.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:44 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:46 pm 

kulivontot wrote:
velonista wrote:

Is there any reason why your tests don't include a single "knock-off" Chinese carbon stem?

I'm guessing it's because fair wheel bikes doesn't stock or sell them? FWB is a store not Tour magazine. They really don't have any obligation to test every single item on the planet, especially if it encourages you to purchase a product from another vendor...

So what you're really saying is the ultimate aim of these tests is to sell brands of stems (and bars) that the tester's employer stocks in their store!

Hmmmmmmm! No agenda bias there! Right?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:57 pm 

There are a few stems in the test that Fairwheel doesn't sell. It's probably more about which stems they could get in time for the test.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:01 pm 

:laughat:
drainyoo wrote:
Why would anyone in their right mind buy a fake or knock-off bike component? To save money? That's just ridiculous, especially since you can get real, good quality parts with RD and warranties behind them for affordable prices.

I think it would be absurd to include fakes in a test like this. They're irrelevant.

Adam Ant wrote:
...Goody two, goody two, goody goody two shoes...Subtle innuendoes follow...There must be something inside...
:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:10 pm 

So you don't actually have an answer...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:26 pm 

Mackers wrote:
So you don't actually have an answer...

It's not obvious who your question is addressed to. But since it directly follows my last post, I'll seize the opportunity to reiterate what I already said:

velonista wrote:
...Because...there's no denying they work just as effectively as anything you care to compare them to...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:02 pm 

There's close to 20 stems here representing some of the most high performance models available on a fairly professional test bench. Yes, there is some bias in choosing which models to test but at the same time they're still a bunch of choices available and a lot of good data! I find no evidence that there's any fudging of data here nor any reason for FWB to fabricate data.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:04 pm 

There's close to 20 stems here representing some of the most high performance models available on a fairly professional test bench. Yes, there is some bias in choosing which models to test but at the same time they're still a bunch of choices available and a lot of good data! I find no evidence that there's any fudging of data here nor any reason for FWB to fabricate data.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:11 pm 

velonista wrote:
...Because...there's no denying they work just as effectively as anything you care to compare them to...

Says who, you?

Why would anyone want to make a case for fake bike parts? There's no logic to it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:19 pm 

drainyoo wrote:
...There's no logic to it.

Says who? You?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 pm 

Oh jeez, I'm moving on.

Thanks to Madcow and Fairwheel for the testing. Some great stuff here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:09 am 

velonista wrote:
Hmmmmmmm! No agenda bias there! Right?

Dude, I think it's pretty simple, if you want to buy your stems from criminals, then buy your stems from criminals - but you have absolutely no right to expect that legitimate bike dealers should validate choices for you. FWB don't owe you anything, and they sure as hell don't owe anything to the forgers who are piggybacking on the work and investment of genuine cycling companies. You want forgeries to be tested alongside genuine products? Build your own test rig and do it yourself.

Back on topic, cool test! I've never liked carbon wrapped designs and it's nice to see that they really are crap :wink: OTOH, I also wonder how much difference it really makes. The only stems I've ridden that I thought were flexy enough to be detrimental (or even readily noticeable) to a ride are some old 2 bolt designs and Look's genuinely piss-poor new Aerostem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:33 am 

As the title goes - Stem Testing Round 1, I'm sure there will be a round 2

The FWB tests on cranks and hubs and now stems are a great source of useful info and unlike many other publications give accurate weights and the pros and cons of each product tested.

Thanks for the effort Madcow, I'm looking forward to your handlebar test as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ozrider on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:33 am 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:02 am 

Thanks again for doing the test!

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next