Any way to tune Specialized saddle clamp?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jmX

by jmX

I'm stuck with using a specialized 1 bolt saddle clamp like this, which is used on most Specialized seatposts:

The thing weighs 61grams, which is quite a lot. Does anybody make an aluminum version of the shell or a Ti center bolt (it appears to be a fairly custom bolt).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmX

by jmX

Well, as I was afraid, I finished building up the new Venge and it came out a hair over 15lbs....15.16. The seatpost and bars put me over the edge. Everything else is pretty light.

TimmS

by TimmS

Dura Ace 7900 light? lol, sorry had to do this :lol:

Back on topic, I think it should not be that difficult to produce the two inner parts of the clamp in carbon.
Just make a countermold based on the original parts an fill it with fibres and epoxy.
You may want to keep the outer as they are just for safety.

NealH

by NealH

Very nice looking bike and for an aero bike its plenty light enough. I'd much rather have your bike at its current weight than one built with cheap Sram parts at a few less grams.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

jmX wrote:I'm stuck with using a specialized 1 bolt saddle clamp like this, which is used on most Specialized seatposts:

The thing weighs 61grams, which is quite a lot. Does anybody make an aluminum version of the shell or a Ti center bolt (it appears to be a fairly custom bolt).

Wow, that's heavy. My guess is that someone might have a Ti version of that bolt, or something similar. I'd check with Toronto Cycles or ProBolt.

BTW, beautiful bike.

nagge

by nagge

That is a heavy part, would also like a lighter version for my Venge, or at least a black bolt.
Nice weight btw!
SuperSix EVO III Ultegra 8070

virenque

by virenque

The clamps are aluminium so you can only shave weight from replacing the bolt. I got someone to make some ti ones for me a while back

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

In for a solution to reduce the weight on my CG-R post also. Went from a 125gr Woodman to a 200+ gr CG-R.