Campagnolo Bora or lightweight wheelset with wide rims??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jimborello

by jimborello

Does anyone know if they are coming out with a wider rim soon?? I love this wheels but after trying wheelset with wider rims I think I wont spend my cash in a narrow rim again. Even AX lightness is changing the rim width for this year so I guess Campagnolo and Lightweight are falling behind on that trend.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Would seem not given Campy just put the Bora 35 out and did not widen the rim at all. Wider rim design is a big + for clincher but maybe not as big for tubular.

Been riding the new Bora 35's as well as Enve 3.4 both tubular and it's tough to really favor one over the other.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

jimborello

by jimborello

What size of tubular do you ride?? I use 24 or 25 mm and the wide rim is definitely a big difference, otherwise it just doesnt look right and I guess the aero advantage is lost a bit.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Taking what @cwdzoot alluded to, the wide rim thing enhances the ride characteristics of a clincher, but does nothing to enhance the ride of a tubular. The tubular's shape is dictated by the casing, not the rim. The rim shape should match it as best it can. I've been running up to 25mm Veloflex and Contis on standard width rims (Boras and Nemesis) and they are great. Would not want to go bigger than 25mm on any of my nice road bikes. Might as well start using a commuter then.

For a tubular, you just want a solid rim base wide enough to provide a secure contact for the tubular. Anything more takes away from the tubulars ability to just roll laterally and conform to the road, turns etc.

What I wouldn't mind seeing in the Boras, or Lightweights for that matter, is a more rounded edge profile where the spokes enter, at the inner edge of the rim. I don't care about them making the rims as a whole wider at all. But I'm talking from a tubular perspective. If this change does in fact, as people seem to say (or believe), make the wheel more stable in cross winds then I'm all for it.

But to answer the OP's main question, I have not heard anything about a new Bora or Lightweight coming out with a different shape, but that doesn't mean they're not working on it. I was a little surprised that if they were that convinced of it's benefits then why did they release the Bora 35 without it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

alexaqui

by alexaqui

cwdzoot wrote:Would seem not given Campy just put the Bora 35 out and did not widen the rim at all. Wider rim design is a big + for clincher but maybe not as big for tubular.

Been riding the new Bora 35's as well as Enve 3.4 both tubular and it's tough to really favor one over the other.

Hi. I am considering both of these wheels as well. Somewhat torn between the two. Could you provide a little bit more color as to what you like about each of them? Which one would you use in all conditions?

My intended purpose is mostly for fun... e.g., fast group rides, a few races, and some hilly long courses.

Thanks!