Fuji transonic vs altamira - thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Any thoughts on these on one vs the other - obviously one is aero vs the other but wondering with having had netapp and caja rural this year if there was a preference amongst the two.
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

I'm in the market for a transonic as well and I've owned multiple altamiras and an SST in the past. The only possible benefit of the altamira would be ride quality but I don't think would matter for us who don't ride 6hrs a day multiple times a week.

Usually there are plenty of downsides to go with a company's aero offering but fuji really tried to negate these with the transonic. Obviously you aren't getting all the benefits of an all out aero beast but the strategy here gives you a great all arounder that is ALSO aero. I'm really excited to try the shimano direct mounts and see what the clearance is like (I've heard great things). I say go for the transonic but let me post mine first :lol:

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

It's pretty damn aero from what I've seen (courtesy of Andrew Coggan on Slowtwitch)

Mind you, this is also with the Cervelo's new aero road bars vs the round Oval bars on the Fuji. I really like that they did dual direct mount. The bike was one of my top choices, but I opted against it since we didn't have any data, but now that we do, it's quite clearly a fast frame. :thumbup: Fuji, I liked my SST as well.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Thanks for the input so far guys - always count on fellow weenies to dredge up fun info.

I am curious what the net app boys thought of it - I see a lot of the caja guys on the altamira it seems right now which has a very similar geo. to a tarmac funny enough. The reviews on the transonic say it handles pretty darn well though and it certainly is not pig weight wise.

I second the comments on the direct mount brakes.

Fuji seems pretty under rated these days.
Just ride ..

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Lots and lots of people are on Fuji's. At least Fuji made bikes.
The Altamira is a good all around platform that Fuji has cashed in on big time. Its been around a lot longer than most frames with few changes. If you go that route get the most expensive frame set. The carbon layup is "better."
The Altamira is overdue for a change though and I expect they will have a new frame out soon enough but that all depends on how much they spent on the Transonic. They seem to like to get the most out of a design.
I agree they are underrated but they have only themselves to blame. They need to maintain a marketing push to get the attention they deserve but I have a feeling they dont care. They must be satisfied making bikes for the companies that are spending money on marketing.
My take: either a high end Altamira frameset or a Transonic. Id go Transonic personally.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice plot! Note the advantage of the Cervelo is mostly at yaw angles > 10 degrees which are less common at ~0.5 meters above the ground, and if present, control of the bike is probably a bigger deal than raw CdA since the wind is probably gusty.

It's a nice looking bike:

I've never much liked the Altamira with its fatty tubes and heavier paint versus the SL/1 which preceded it. I thought the SL/1 with its narrower tubes and relatively aero (looking) fork was a good compromise. Lateral stiffness not so great but in the small sizes where the top tube, down tube, and head tube all merge it's probably rather stiff, as well as 860 grams for the frame not bad at all for 2008 (still competitive today).

itsacarr

by itsacarr

The look is growing on me - still wonder which frame the caja rural guys will end up choosing to ride more. The geometry for the aero bike is nice to see with some quick features in geometry.
Just ride ..

bungis

by bungis

The transonic is Fuji's latest design and one of the latest on the market too.

I think the rear brake flange is a bit ostentatious, other than that I like the appearance over the Altamira.

06SpiceRed

by 06SpiceRed

djconnel wrote:I've never much liked the Altamira with its fatty tubes and heavier paint versus the SL/1 which preceded it. I thought the SL/1 with its narrower tubes and relatively aero (looking) fork was a good compromise. Lateral stiffness not so great but in the small sizes where the top tube, down tube, and head tube all merge it's probably rather stiff, as well as 860 grams for the frame not bad at all for 2008 (still competitive today).

As an SL/1 user myself, I'd have to fully agree with you. Ive spent a great deal of time on an Altamira (and will actually be builidng one up here soon too) and while I do notice the difference in compliance between the two, for an "older" frame I do have to say it is simply an awesome bike. Everything from accelerations, descending, cornering, sprinting, etc it rides like a dream. I think once the Altamira is finished, I might have to jump on a transonic too and keep it loyal to my existing Fuji family (D6, SST, SL1, Altamira) ;)

OP, I think you would be really satisfied with either bike. If you get a chance to take either for spin definitely do. Ive ridden/owned them all with the exception of the Transonic but I feel that Im gonna be on one real soon!
A bunch of carbon, with a bunch of electronic parts

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

06SpiceRed,

Where do you get your Fuji bikes from? I'm also in Colorado. Thanks.

russianbear

by russianbear

Regarding the Transonic. We've had some issues with the cable routing to the front derailleur on 6800 set ups, just a heads up. Doesn't seem to affect the 105 or DA.

My team mate got his recently and loves it!

06SpiceRed

by 06SpiceRed

pdlpsher1 wrote:06SpiceRed,

Where do you get your Fuji bikes from? I'm also in Colorado. Thanks.

I used to (when I say used to, I mean im not really "working" in the industry per say, but have my industry discounts) work for Performance. Im based out of the one in Boulder, so just south of you. If you get a chance to stop in, all of us guys in there are fully in tune with the Fuji lineup especially with the road and cx side. If you prefer going up north, the FoCo store is good, but doesnt have the selection and doesnt see the specfic models most are looking for. If you go up that way, you can ask for "AL" hes the manager there last time I went in. I would highly recommend the boulder store for the specfic models and selection. Feel free to PM me if you need any help with it!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thank you 06SpiceRed. Currently I have an Altamira that I purchased from Colorado Cyclist. I love the bike however I've been thinking about a second bike or something a bit different. I'll definitely drop you a PM when I'm ready to buy one.

06SpiceRed

by 06SpiceRed

pdlpsher1 wrote:Thank you 06SpiceRed. Currently I have an Altamira that I purchased from Colorado Cyclist. I love the bike however I've been thinking about a second bike or something a bit different. I'll definitely drop you a PM when I'm ready to buy one.

Definitely let me know and we'll see what we can do!

thewallace

by thewallace

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my Transonic SL now

I've spent decent time of the current Altamira, so I'll give able to give you a good comparison in a week or so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com