Microshift Arsis Lever Hoods Compatability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

I just bought a Microshift Arsis groupset which is fantastic and i highly recommend it to anyone. But i am wanting to customise it slightly and swap out the lever hoods for a pair of a different colour than the standard black ones supplied.
I know that the full groupset is shimano compatable albeit the latest Ultegra and Dura-Ace models, so I have looked at the Hudz Ultegra 6600 compatable hoods and still question whether or not they will fit.
Anyone tried this before? Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robncircus

by robncircus

Just curious where you bought the gruppo? I also like Mocroshift (run it on my Skeletor right now), and I've had a hard time sourcing another group.

Thanks
Brewer McFadden says "Everyday should be the best day ever"

gmitt98

by gmitt98

Sampson re-badges the MicroShift group, you might be able to find their stuff cheaply.

http://www.sampsonsports.com/Sampson-Stratics-Group.asp

nickobec

by nickobec

got my Aris groupset via group buy on Velobuild from YishunBike $280 shipped, otherwise $340 or so on the big auction site.

going to set it up on my crit bike, but waiting for derailleur hanger, so no testing yet and crit season still a few months away.

The Arsis hoods look similar to, but not the same as the Ultegra 6600 hoods I have here. The top part of the hood looks almost 1cm longer on the Ultegra's.

Microshift are now making Arsis with red hoods, so if that is the colour you need, time to search.

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

I got my gruppo from best_derailleur on ebay for $309.99 at £15 postage to Great Britain. They sell the groupset in all these fancy colours which you can't get anywhere else, so that's why i paid a little extra. They send every groupset out with brake cables and teflon gear cables which is a nice touch.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Seems ideal for a crit/crash/training set up.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Rick

by Rick

I just replaced a pair of Ultegra shifters with Performance (Microshift). The hoods would definitely not be compatable.

I am pretty please with the Performance/Microshift shifters.
The "Downshift button" is great. It is really crisp, definite, short throw, and in a convenient place for the index finger when on the hoods.
It is not so convenient when on the drops. It requires a very unnatural reach upward because it is so short.
The "Upshift levers" work adequately well, but have a brutally loooooooong throw and a lot of free-play before the shift starts to engage.
Again, it is functional, definite, and solid feeling though. I like the multiple front trim positions. I am using it on a triple.

Not high-level race quality, but for a training/winter/commuting bike they work perfectly adequately well. And of course the price is the best feature. We will see how well they hold up over time.

totoboa

by totoboa

I think I have read all the posts here at WW on the Microshift. Maybe I missed it, but I cannot discern if there is any functional difference between the various groups in terms of weight and performance, or construction, etc. Some folks weight weenie, I weight and Money weenie. :beerchug:

From this site http://www.microshift.com.tw/road_arsis.html it appears the groups, from top down, Arsis, White, Bona and Centos, all use the same pieces, albeit modified for gears/speeds and appearance.

Can anyone confirm if the Bona or Centos is the same as the Arsis and does it weight less without the carbon appliqué ?

Thanks

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

I can't comment on the functional difference between the groups, but what I'm seeing now is that the new Arsis group has the brake lever canted outwards, textured hoods, longer downshift button for shifting in the drops and a shorter lever throw. It's going to be available through QBP this winter/spring too.

I've been using my Forte-branded Arsis levers all cyclocross season and really like them. Solid shifting to a 5600 RD and crappy FSA chain on a crappy Sram 1030 and it's been durable through all of the mud, washing and worst- leaving mud caked on them/the bike for a week at a time. For my next CX bike I'm going to use the new Arsis shifters and derailleurs.

Good stuff.

totoboa

by totoboa

Upon further reading :roll: on the Arsis site, the weights for the shifters/brakes are listed and they all range from 415-417 grams; they are virtually the same. However, earlier today I ran across a pic here in WW of the Arsis on a scale showing 377g. :unbelievable:

The rear derailleurs are all very close in weight also, at least for the R69, R67,and R57 units, falling around 193g or so.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

I am not really a big fan of microShift for not many reasons other than the non-integrated cables and loud colors, but it does work pretty darn good. My (old) team, Exergy did the Tour of Cali, US Pro Challenge and Tour of Utah all on microshift. We even won quite a few races during the year. So the stuff does work for races.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Was Exergy sponsored to ride Microshift, found it better than the alternatives, or thought it good enough and was trying to save a few bucks?

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I think the price difference for anything other than arsis is really not that much, so you might as well get the lightest grouppo. I think a lot of the lower end grouppos w/ microshift exist just to provide new components for busted 8/9 sod groups.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

We were sponsored by them. I know riders would prefer to ride sram/Shimano/Campy but usually even pro teams have to pay for those pieces of equipment. So to have microshift give it to us was a big help.

velonista

by velonista

chazzawoods wrote:I just bought a Microshift Arsis groupset which is fantastic and i highly recommend it to anyone. But i am wanting to customise it slightly and swap out the lever hoods for a pair of a different colour than the standard black ones supplied.
I know that the full groupset is shimano compatable albeit the latest Ultegra and Dura-Ace models, so I have looked at the Hudz Ultegra 6600 compatable hoods and still question whether or not they will fit.
Anyone tried this before? Thanks

Here, here on the fantastificatiousness of microSHIFT!

Did you ever find out for sure whether or not ODI's Shimano Hudz fit microSHIFT by the way? I likewise want to swap to some different color Hudz.

As you speculated, on the face of it it looks like Hudz' Shimano grips should fit microSHIFT according to the microSHIFT catalogue:

To confirm that, I emailed sales@odigrips.com and asked them which model of their Hudz fits microSHIFT - thinking I would get it straight from the horse's mouth; as it were. But this is the answer I got back from them:

sales@odigrips.com wrote:...Do you know if these are compatible with any of the SRAM or Shimano Hudz...

This from a US-based company! I shudder to think of the answer I would get if I email to ask either microSHIFT or best_derailleur!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com