BBright cranks with BB30

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

Anyone had to do this? I can't seem to make it work. I have two 11cm spacers, a 1mm washer, and then the BB30 bearings and covers/dust shields. If I include the 1mm washer it binds up a lot. If I don't there is a bit of lateral play and the pre-load adjuster on the crank is almost all the way in.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

ms6073

by ms6073

No experience and this may not solve the issue but seems like Rotor's Press fit 4630mm converter is designed for this issue.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

durkonion

by durkonion

ms6073, that's just a regular BB. It won't help in this situation.

KWalker, is the preload adjuster all the way in or almost all the way in? If it's not bottomed out, it sounds like you don't need that 1mm spacer. What crankset are you using?

KWalker

by KWalker

Rotor 3D+ SRM

I think that BB is actually a BBRight BB, but its not on the Rotor USA site or sold in the US yet. I can't tell if it actually is a BBRight bb because it appears that the bearings sit outboard in place of the spacers you'd run with a bb30 bb and BBright crank.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

squirrelbait2000

by squirrelbait2000

indeed i am trying to do the same thing!
I have a BBright FSA crankset off a 2012 cervelo S5, which i want to use on my cannondale synapse with BB30.
I'm thinking that the bbright spindle is 34mm from center to driveside (like BB30 crank spindles) but 45mm from center to non-driveside (1.1cm longer than BB30 cranks). so then i am assuming i need a 1.1cm spacer!!!?? on the non-driveside... this seems like it would look pretty ugly, and might not even work if there is nothing on the left side of the spindle to retain the spacers. does this make any sense to anyone? :noidea:

timzcat

by timzcat

What is the frame? BB30 or Pressfit 30.
Also matters what BB you have because for example Cannondale bearing shields are not as thick as the Truvativ/Sram shields.

http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/pdf/3dplus_ ... 2-8-10.pdf

SeanP

by SeanP

I am building up a C'dale CAAD10 ('13) frameset using the parts for a Cervelo R3 (cracked frame). I ran into a proble with the crankset, Rotor F BBright spindle from the Cervelo is to long of the C'dale. I believe, I may be wrong, that I need a new shorter standard 68mm specific spindle. Finding a Rotor spindle individually is now working. My question(s): Can I use a C'dale Hollowgram spindle? (and machine the lip that spindle has). Can anyone direct me to a Rotor spindle 68mm? Woud I need any addition spacers to correctly onstall the crankset?
Thank you for your advice.

eric

by eric

You should be able to get spacers from Rotor to allow use of the Rotor crank on a BB30 frame.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

just get the spacer kit for the rotor crank on the BB30 frame

SeanP

by SeanP

Thank you for providing that option of spacers. I will give Rotor USA a call to see what spacers I could use. I hope I do not run into any chain alignment issues. Thanks again. Still, does anyone have experience changing the spindle on a Rotor crank?

eric

by eric

Without spacers on the drive side the chain line will be too close to the frame and the chainrings or crank may hit the frame.

SeanP

by SeanP

You where all correct with your recommendations of using spacers; I got in touch with Cameron Chambers of Rotor USA and this is what he said:
"A BB30 frame has a shell width of 68 mm. As opposed to the 79 mm of the BBright. The BBright system requires one - 11.5 mm spacer on the drive side. To use the crank with a BB30 you need to run 1 - 11.5 mm spacer on both the drive and non drive sides. The total width of spacing needed to make a Rotor 3D+ crank tighten up to the bearing properly is 90.5 - 93 mm. 68 + 11.5 + 11.5 = 91 mm, which should do the trick just right."
Maybe that could help some else.

eric

by eric

The Rotor is what someone here coined a "long BB30". The 30mm spindle is long enough to accomodate BB30 sized bearings in external BB cups on a BSA BB. Lightning, Zipp Vuma Quad, Rotor, Sram Quarks are all long BB30. It'll work in just about any frame with the right spacers. The only drawback is a tiny bit more weight (the spindle is aluminium) and does not have the generous heel clearance of a true short BB30 crank.

GT56

by GT56

squirrelbait2000 wrote:indeed i am trying to do the same thing!
I have a BBright FSA crankset off a 2012 cervelo S5, which i want to use on my cannondale synapse with BB30.
I'm thinking that the bbright spindle is 34mm from center to driveside (like BB30 crank spindles) but 45mm from center to non-driveside (1.1cm longer than BB30 cranks). so then i am assuming i need a 1.1cm spacer!!!?? on the non-driveside... this seems like it would look pretty ugly, and might not even work if there is nothing on the left side of the spindle to retain the spacers. does this make any sense to anyone? :noidea:

this is correct, the FSA BBright Cranks are BB30 standard on the driveside, so no need to fit any spacers there, there is a gap to fill on the non drive side when fitting the crank to a BB30 frame

the spacer on the non drive side will sit between the bearing a wavy washer and than the crank

doesn't look nice

why not sell the BBRight Crankset, there should be some demand for them as there are very little about (provided this is not the Gossamer ultra heavy Cervelo OEM crank) and get a true BB30 Crankset ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com