9070 Di2 or EPS electric

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maverick_1

by maverick_1

+1

I was almost certain that my RB1K will be on 9070 (ultra smooth drivetrain, better battery life etc), but ended up with the EPS V2.
Personal preference towards Campy are the ergo shifters as well as the feel of the brake levers allowing easier brake modulation (technically similar to the mechanical groupset). Chunky shifts are the hallmarks of Campy. Loving it so far :lol:

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have two EPS equipped bikes. The first one is a v1 SR EPS, the second is a v2 Athena. Now, I just installed the Athena v2 system and other than running the wiring inside a frame [that was not designed for it], it was pretty easy. The SR version, the v1 power unit is mounted under the saddle, same wiring issues, just more of it.

The question I have for those that have the v2 set up, how effective is the charging port? I have found it is very small and potentially hard to align the charger cable. I'm concerned about buggering up the connector in the future. I feel I should add the adapter cable so if the end is damaged, I do not have to buy a new power unit. I understand, I do not have to have the charger installed 24/7, so in reality, I would have to plug in just a handful of times a year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joshscott187

by joshscott187

For the EPS V2 do you need to have the charging port in a specific location or is it flexible where it is placed (ie on the end of a cable in the frame). Anyone come up with a seatpost removal or in post charge port?

would be very reluctant to drill a hole in my frame

solarider

by solarider

I use a very hi-tech method.

Wrap the end of the cable in a small piece of foam and shove it up the seat post with an interference fit!

Works fine, no rattles. The battery doesn't need charging that often anyway, and it is good to remove your seat post to let moisture out and stope seizing every now and then.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@Butcher,

Care explaining what do you mean by "how effective" is the charging port?
There's a notch at at the charging connector and as long as you align it with the charging port, everything will be fine.
I do use the extension cable as well since the original length was a tad too short.
Don't think there will be a problem unless you bend the connector forcefully while charging the battery :noidea:

@joshscott187
Well, couple of methods.
First of all, you can opt not to drill any hole onto the frame by simply putting the charging port into the seat tube, and removing the seatpost each time you need to charge the battery.
Alternatively, on each frame there will be a drainage port, or the external mount for the V1 battery. The charge port may require very minor drilling on the external mount port/drain port.
Unfortunately due to patent issues, it is not possible to charge the battery thru the EPS interface unit.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Whoa! Not 100% in love with some of the tone in this thread.

Anyway, I visited another shop this morning. I new this shop likes Campy, so I wasn't surprised when my buddy there mentioned that installing EPS V2 is quite easy. He talked me through it and offered to help me, should I decide to do my next build with it. I know others with Campy V2 that he installed rave about its performance and stability. As for looks, nothing even remotely touches it.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

@maverick_1
Since I have a v1 power unit, that diameter is larger and you can see the alignment pins easier. With the small v2, I know there is a notch, but damn, it's small. I can see dirt getting in there I making it a mess. I know there is a cover, but that too is small and may fall out.

I'm getting old, I know, but I think the potential damage to the connector is higher.

cesemo

by cesemo

Like what there are always said in this forum. It comes down to personal preferences. There are so much thing to consider on choosing a groupset. But for me, I value workmanship, history, art and Quality. I myself as an Artisan considered Campagnolo as an work of art. Everytime someone hates or criticize campagnolo the more I fallen in love with it.. It creates emotion that cannot be found in any other groupset.. That makes Campagnolo unique.

uraqt

by uraqt

As a true campy guy I understand the art and personal preferences arguments 100% and with cable shifting I think that is true...

However when you move to electric shifting, doesn't the actual shift become a commodity? So assuming that the big three will have electric shifting by the end of the year. it is really going to come down to specific measurable features that they other brands don't have. As it stands now Shimano has a big lead. This is unfortunate to because this may be the only chance/time campy and sram had an opportunity "catch" Shimano.

An example around the middle years of 10 speed everyone was talking about how fast you should shift and by the beginning of 11 speed nobody really cared. Campy and Shimano brought it back with the electric shifting( we shift in mil sec) but they both shift in mil sec so the shifting time is a commodity and nobody real cares again. That is sram price of admission, doesn't have to as fast just has to be close.

If the the actual shift become a commodity then the shifters are just buttons, and I will guarantee in the long run that whoever makes the most shifting buttons will end up making the best and cheapest to manufacture ones. Making a cable shifter is very very tricky compared to making a button. I would expect that in a few years you will have you choice of buttons for Shimano. Low profile, hard shift, easy shift, shift with you big toe and so on. In fact I would kinda argue that all of the companies' should have looked at could they water proof the home button/buttons used on the iPhone ( and I think they are all the same buttons on the Apple remote and iPods too) instead of the wasting the R&D time spent to make a button that "feels like a shifter".

In the long run it's going to be the group that has measurable benefits, aesthetics, ergonomics and art are very hard to sell if ease of installation, ease of setup/tuning performance, flexibility of installation, modular ability of group, customization of group operation and cost are better in a different group. I feel you would very hard press to argue that Shimano doesn't have a measurable lead in the above areas and that lead is just going to grow unless campy and sram has a game changer that takes Shimano more than a two or three years to catch up.

C

PS I am such a campy fan, if you gave me cable Shimano or sram for free I would really not take it and if you forced it on me I would tell you I am going to ebay it : ) As it stands now I don't see campy and sram catching Shimano with electric shifting and if I had to move to/use electric I would most likely buy Shimano and it hurts to type that.

solarider

by solarider

I do agree that Campagnolo have some serious catching up to do. As many Campagnolo enthusiasts have said, even they would probably elect for Di2 based purely on performance.

Having said that, I have put many thousands of shifts into EPS now and I really can't fault it. It shifts quickly, accurately and the front change is particularly good. I do think that the front mech could be slimmed down using proprietary motors like Shimano have done, and the rear mech uses a very simple approach to creatng movement which is kind of its appeal.

But the charging method is ridiculous. Having to drill your frame or make do with a piece of foam shoved into your seatpost on something that costly is a joke. Di2 vs really moved the game on. EPS v2 fixed a couple of faults, and produced a 90% right internal battery. V3 had better be amazing, or they will possibly lose touch with Shimano for good.

Shimano have technology and function on their side. Campagnolo have history and flair on their side. SRAM have weight on their side. I guess now more than ever before, the big 3 are at least targetting their own particular niche, so for a given customer there is at least a choice to be made.

ricey155

by ricey155

No issue with the latest 6800 ultegra infact I've started riding it all weathers due to it being superior to my SRAM red that's done 12k

I would upgrade to SRAM red 11 speed chain sprockets for it next time but shifting shimano works

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

i have a mate who's doing 2-3 di2 installs a week and at least one of the new V2 eps installs a week..

set up wise while a little more involved he says eps is really easy to set up and once its locked in its very very good... hardest thing is lining every thing up for the battery down the tube but once you've done it once.... it isn't very hard..

any frame built for older eps or di2 is going to have an exit for the external battery mount ( perfect place for you charger port duhh!! ) or you could take my solution and get a custom berk combo thats got the port in the post under the saddle.. normal persons who use normal seat posts could have the cable exit in the post through the post cradle.

ive installed di2, and repaired busted wringing looms trouble shot overly tight limit screws and it is nice and straight forward..
but i will not adorn my own bikes with gear made by a company thats make the lion share of their profits from fishing gear.. and while it works really bloody well its not good enough for me :mrgreen:

i think they both work on equal terms with each other with the campy been a little heavier than the shimano offering, campag have nicer ergonomics and a better rear mech, shimano having lighter and better front mech and battery, campag still wining in the looks and prestige stakes ( every ome bike and its dog have di or ui2 these days )

Nejmann

by Nejmann

sugarkane wrote:i have a mate who's doing 2-3 di2 installs a week and at least one of the new V2 eps installs a week..

set up wise while a little more involved he says eps is really easy to set up and once its locked in its very very good... hardest thing is lining every thing up for the battery down the tube but once you've done it once.... it isn't very hard..

any frame built for older eps or di2 is going to have an exit for the external battery mount ( perfect place for you charger port duhh!! ) or you could take my solution and get a custom berk combo thats got the port in the post under the saddle.. normal persons who use normal seat posts could have the cable exit in the post through the post cradle.

ive installed di2, and repaired busted wringing looms trouble shot overly tight limit screws and it is nice and straight forward..
but i will not adorn my own bikes with gear made by a company thats make the lion share of their profits from fishing gear.. and while it works really bloody well its not good enough for me :mrgreen:

i think they both work on equal terms with each other with the campy been a little heavier than the shimano offering, campag have nicer ergonomics and a better rear mech, shimano having lighter and better front mech and battery, campag still wining in the looks and prestige stakes ( every ome bike and its dog have di or ui2 these days )

Nice.. Just a got a really great deal on a pinarello fpquattro with the v1 battery, might go for internal battery, and use the hole for the external battery.. Do you have to adjust the rear and front mech if you replace battery/interface?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

You'd have to reset it for sure the battery is where the controller is and the settings

siauragama

by siauragama

@maverick_1 - did you manage to put the V2 power unit in that bent seat tube of Cipollini or chose some other way of mounting it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com