Bora Ultra Two vs 35 question & advice?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

angrylegs

by angrylegs

Currently I race on a pair of aluminum tubulars built on 340s and Tune hubs. They're nice wheels and serve the purpose well. I race crits, rolling circuits and have a love of stage racing, so do my fair share of TTs and climbing. I've won some crits and an overall points jersey. I'm strong in TTs but have no dedicated TT bike as of yet. I'm a good climber, but not ultra light or strong enough to dominate there, much as climbing is my favorite thing to do. I have no carbon deep profile wheels, however, and have been wishing for some time to build up some ENVE SES customs. I'm simply unable to source the rims. Finances, life and all that. :mrgreen:

I have, however, been able to work out a trade for either the new Bora Ultra 35s or some Ultra Twos. Not my ENVEs, but they are quite lovely and I ride Campy so I'm pretty happy, all things considered. Wondering two things:

Is there any major difference between the various release years of the Ultra Twos? Graphics I believe, but I'm honestly more a fan of the non-stealth, red and white decals, and the flat style of the lettering vs the bevels - but this isn't a deal breaker. I believe it's basically the same wheel though 2010-2013. Is that correct?

The harder question is which should I go with? I know it's really subjective, but I'll take advice. An option also, as I don't know what year the Ultra Twos will be, is to take the 35s and sell them without riding them (as they are a relatively newly released wheel) and build a pair of 3.4s or 6.7s on Alchemy hubs.

What would you do in my position?

angrylegs

by angrylegs

Follow-up:

I guess this is really a matter of personal opinion, more than anything else. I figured that. I was struggling with it which was why I asked. I decided to go with the Ultra 35s and keep those as main race wheels for most types of terrain, relegating the aluminum set to possibly very technical descents, bad weather, some fun training. Clinchers to do the grunt work of training. That leaves ENVE 6.7s as the wheels I'll aim for - someday - to have a deeper set. If ever. While I'm keen to try wider rims and go for the 3.4s over the Ultra 35s, I'm content to simply keep the Ultra 35s. Very nice hubs and I ride Campy. I do like them.

Ride report in a couple months when nicer weather comes my way, if the trade works out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

barsook77

by barsook77

Bora 35 ultra two are available now. Went through 2 sets of Envies w/Tune hubs. No complaints with Ultra two's using them for everyday training rides.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

IMO the bora 35 ultra are better than the 50 ultra two. First is the hub which was redesigned and has bigger flange compared to ultra two. That means that you no longer have to take off the spokes to replace the bearings, cups. Secondly its a stiffer hub. Last thing, the new braking surface is much better than the glossy surface of the ultra two. In the new 35 ultra, they use a diamond tip to machine the brake track. They take off the excess resin on top so you get a grippy surface. It brakes much better than the ultra two.

All the future carbon wheels from campagnolo will have that surface treatment.
██

dj97223

by dj97223

Any ride reports on the Bora 35? Has anyone seen any aero data? :beerchug:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Been riding the 35 Ultra and love everything about them. I own a pair of the Fulcrum Racing Speed which are essentially Bora One.

Besides for the fact that the 35's are smoother on really rough roads they feel identical.

Will say the 35's look fantastic:

Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

frohrider

by frohrider

dj97223 wrote:Any ride reports on the Bora 35? Has anyone seen any aero data? :beerchug:

I use the Bora 35 wheels on my latest build - the are my perfect all round wheels. Good brake modulation (better than my Mavic CCU), smooth bearings, crosswind compliant and plenty fast in the flats. In comparison I due ride 38mm Gigantex wheels with novatec hubs which are not as stiff an not as smooth, and Mavic CCU which are very stiff but more affected by crosswind and even upgraded with ceramic bearings they dont feel the same smoothness wise.

I went for the One version, so I have conventional bearings and no carbon hubs. Weight was 1250gr (552gr. front / 698gr rear), and I run them with 23mm/25mm (f/r) Tubulars.

Supersix HiMod, Supersix EVO HiMod, Crux, CaadX, Lynskey R330 & Pro29, Yelli Screamy 29

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Nice pic - looks like a great place to ride.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com