Freezing BB30 axle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Does sticking the BB30 axle in the freezer (or outside in Winnipeg where its -30) really make it easier to install?? I'm installing a new 109mm in my EVO I got it in part way and now it just won't go any further.. I am reluctant to take the hammer to it because its an SRM Hollowgram SISL2 setup... something just doesn't seem right about whacking an SRM...

The new KP248 109mm setup seems so hard to install without a fight (re hammering the axle) the old Cannondale spindle would install/uninstall with 2-3 hits...

quattrings

by quattrings

definitely helps putting it in the freezer, also heat up the bottom bracket with a hairdryer, should just slide in nice and easy.
good trick for installing bearings too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Now that's its part way in instead of hitting it with the rubber mallet just yet. Grab some compressed air from the store (2 or 3 cans) and turn the can upside down and spay the air on the axel where its going into the bearing on all sides. Since the axel is hollow spray the inside also a lot. It should shrink immediately and you can continue. It works the same when removing the axel. Be genital when tapping the new 109 axel because you can damage the threads and not be able to get the pedals in. :thumbup: Done this many times and it works every time. :mrgreen:

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Be genital?

lippythelion

by lippythelion

^ :lol: :lol:

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Come on, it's just a typo. No need to be a dick about it.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Thats why cold shrinks it.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Lol :noidea: Someday I will learn to type.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

haha well thanks for the replies.... LOL

And on a sidenote.. the freezer trick did NOTHING for me.... Ive had this problem from day one with this new 109mm BB in my EVO.. I stuck the axle in the backyard today for 2 hours where it was -30 with the windchill... it still did not want to push through... I against my will leaned into with the rubber mallet and it wouldn't move... it gets to the point where theres about 1/4 inch to go and it just says NO WAY... not moving.. I even tried using the compressed air trick as well...

What I ended up doing after things warmed up was pull the cranks right off... taking a regular hammer (I know.. but the rubber mallet does not work) I tapped it 3 times, went in a little bit.. put the SRM back on and tq'd it.. this pulled the axle back to the DS crank arm.. I then put the NDS crank on a tqd it and all is well...

I don't know why this is such an issue with this frame.. its almost like something is out of alignment....

My old SuperSix... put the axle in 2 whaps and in she went with the old 103mm axle!!

ms6073

by ms6073

I so did not like having to use a rubber mallet to get the SISL2 spindle installed for my Hollowgram SRM. My solution was to use fine grade Emory cloth to wet 'polish' the spindle diameter while spinning it with a cordless drill. 30-40 seconds and the spindle can be hand fitted with no need for the hammer.
Last edited by ms6073 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

So its not just me.... good to know....
Ive never had so much grief in my life... its really turned me off the whole BB30 thing... Ive never liked it anyways being a Campy guy I love the Ultra Tq setup.... but running a Cannondale SRM has limited me to the 109 spindle option... especially since I have a pre PF30 beveled edge design one..

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Honestly mate, get some fine sandpaper and sand that crank down till it fits by hand. I have done it, it is easy, and a perfect solution. You should not need a mallet to install, if the spindle, bearing interface is that tight, just imagine what is happening to the bearings.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Soooo I am wondering if Cannondale has changed the specs slightly on the 109mm spindle... I just installed a new one in my Cannondale Slice RS, and it slid through by hand with 3 taps of the rubber mallet to seat it... I did nothing differently at all.... I am starting to wonder if my BB shell is not in perfect alignment on the EVO... I am not going to pop the Evo out and try the other one.. way to much headache....

hmai18

by hmai18

Just wondering: were you able to get the 109mm spindle on its own or whether you had to buy the entire ceramic BB kit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com