Prices for Serotta's going through the roof.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skiezo

by skiezo

Since the Serotta thing was announced the prices have gone through the roof. It is a shame that they did that to Ben but I am sure he will be back with a new shop and some more good people to help him along the way.
He did a fitting for me a few years ago and it was one of the best experiences that I ever had. The guys at his shop were great to work with even tho I told them I my not get my frame built by him. Just a pure class act IMHO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Ooooh, this thing:

http://www.saratogian.com/general-news/ ... management

I hadn't heard of this. Guess it might keep someone from going around Google as I did. Supply and demand, skiezo. If the supply ain't flowing, demand goes through the roof (bringing prices along for the ride).

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Prices for what? As far as I can tell they have no Serotta bikes to sell.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

There is an, as of now, 8 page long thread MadFiber, Serotta and Blue Now Owned by Divine Cycling, which I started before we knew the sordid history to come with Mad Fiber, Serotta, Blue, and Divine Cycling Group itself. There is a lot of info and many links in the thread, documenting the evolution and demise of the various entities, including the starting of Saratoga Frameworks as a kind of (Ben Serotta-less) follow-on to Serotta.

bricky21

by bricky21

Weren't Serotta prices already through the roof before they went under?

nealrab

by nealrab

Got a Fierte Ti before discontinuing...good price back then

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Believe the same factory and guys ( excluding Ben of course) churns out bikes under the "Saratoga" moniker now.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

skiezo wrote:Since the Serotta thing was announced the prices have gone through the roof. It is a shame that they did that to Ben but I am sure he will be back with a new shop and some more good people to help him along the way.
He did a fitting for me a few years ago and it was one of the best experiences that I ever had. The guys at his shop were great to work with even tho I told them I my not get my frame built by him. Just a pure class act IMHO.

Ben Serotta was a fantastic builder of bikes, but a lousy businessman. The truth is that while the bikes are fantastic the company was not focused and lost money. The story about him being blind-sided needs to be taken with a grain of salt. There are always two sides to a story.
Last edited by fromtrektocolnago on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

maxxevv

by maxxevv

As with any corporate story, we will never know the full manuscript, warts and all.

I would imagine the scenario that the new owners wanted Ben to step aside on the corporate decision making and business aspect of things and concentrate his energies and knowledge on the 'creative' processes within the company but he probably turned that idea down flat. As such they probably felt it was better that he step off instead. As a result, maybe because of branding and copyright issues, had to forsake the 'Serotta' brand and move into contract manufacturing instead.

These are my conjunctures of what I think might have happened, assuming a 'best intent' scenario that didn't work out. Either that or the DCG guys are a bunch of dweebs as many an impassioned report regarding Serotta's demise seemed to imply ?? :noidea:

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

maxxevv wrote:As with any corporate story, we will never know the full manuscript, warts and all.

I would imagine the scenario that the new owners wanted Ben to step aside on the corporate decision making and business aspect of things and concentrate his energies and knowledge on the 'creative' processes within the company but he probably turned that idea down flat. As such they probably felt it was better that he step off instead. As a result, maybe because of branding and copyright issues, had to forsake the 'Serotta' brand and move into contract manufacturing instead.

These are my conjunctures of what I think might have happened, assuming a 'best intent' scenario that didn't work out. Either that or the DCG guys are a bunch of dweebs as many an impassioned report regarding Serotta's demise seemed to imply ?? :noidea:

Again just speculation , but I'm thinking the name change may have to do with bankruptcy proceedings and a reorg, and having to do with avoiding or negotiating old debts. At least that's what often occurs.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Yes it is. Speculation on my part.

We'll probably not get the full and truthful story from either party for a very long time yet. Or even never.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com