Mavic CXR80, anybody got experience ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I'm not really as big a fan of the rubber...

I THINK I prefer the ride quality of Vittoria and Conti, but to be sure I would need a set of Mav Tubulars laced to a set of 404's for direct comparison...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RookieB

by RookieB

Nearly built !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

Beautiful bike!!
Hit me with a PM if you need any specific questions answered regarding the CXR wheel tire systems. The tires are pretty bomber, very solid and straight carcass which is nice. Very puncture resistant. The tire grip is quite good.

Charles, let me know if you want to connect to discuss further! Hope you are having fun with the 60s.
-zack
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

RookieB

by RookieB

Thanks Zack ill Pm you with a small Question.
It was finished yesterday & im Super Happy with the Result. Just a stages PM to go on now.

Final weight was 7.15 kg. :)

Using Tapatalk

RookieB

by RookieB

Forum wont let me send PM's yet :(

Using Tapatalk

CharlesM

by CharlesM

MavicZack wrote:Beautiful bike!!
Hit me with a PM if you need any specific questions answered regarding the CXR wheel tire systems. The tires are pretty bomber, very solid and straight carcass which is nice. Very puncture resistant. The tire grip is quite good.

Charles, let me know if you want to connect to discuss further! Hope you are having fun with the 60s.
-zack

We're good!

After I made the statement (and clarified I didn't have a direct comparison) I got pissed at myself and did a swap and bought a new set of Yksions and used them on a Pair of 404's and used the Vittorias on the CXR's.

This was down to a much more solid feeling wheel and a tyre pressure difference versus the tires having any sort of issue themselves...

RookieB

by RookieB

Hi Zack, the tyres have been taped on & ive got a small bulge in the rubber where the valve is situated.

Any idea how i could get rid of it ?

Ian

Using Tapatalk

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

CharlesM wrote:This was down to a much more solid feeling wheel and a tyre pressure difference versus the tires having any sort of issue themselves...

Old team mate didn't like the Mavic singles as he felt they were "too soft" on the road.

I had to laugh, wasn't sure what more he could ask from a tyre. When I rode his wheels (Ultimates with Yksion) I was in heaven.

Suppose it's like how some people like their toast burned. Others like their tyres to feel like concrete :shock:

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

Hi RookieB,
regarding the bump where the valve is located, it's fairly common phenomenon with tubular tires. Worse with some tires than others, but in general the Mavic tubulars shouldn't be as bad as most. It is sometimes cure-able by properly stretching the tire as it's glued around the rim. It may also reduce with time as the tire stretches and settles in more evenly around the rim. We really strongly recommend a proper glue job with tubular glue like Mastik 1. The tape really just doesn't hold as well and leaves a residue which can be a bummer.
Thanks for your interest in the wheels and stay in touch!
-zack
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

RookieB

by RookieB

Cheers Zack, ill let you know how I get on with them.

Ian

Using Tapatalk

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Tinea Pedis wrote:
CharlesM wrote:This was down to a much more solid feeling wheel and a tyre pressure difference versus the tires having any sort of issue themselves...

Old team mate didn't like the Mavic singles as he felt they were "too soft" on the road.

I had to laugh, wasn't sure what more he could ask from a tyre. When I rode his wheels (Ultimates with Yksion) I was in heaven.

Suppose it's like how some people like their toast burned. Others like their tyres to feel like concrete :shock:

There's a reason I run the same wheels tires and pressures for bike reviews...

I didn't think all of the feeling would be down to the rubber and it wasn't. I'm glad I used caps when I wrote "I THINK I prefer"... Don't know why I wrote that at all. I should have just spent the time and money to find out as normal and kept it shut till then.

I'm happy I did that to myself and even happier I take the time to do it with bikes... It always cracks me up when someone reviews a new bike with a new wheel set (and potentially new tires).

When that's the case, the words re ride quality are, to a large degree simply bs/guessing.

RookieB

by RookieB

So far im Ecxstatic with the bike and wheel.
It just wants to surge & go fast, complete sledge hammer of a bike. Not comfortable but i didnt build it for that. The wheels hold speed incredibly well. The Noise off them is worth the price tag alone lol.

Using Tapatalk

ultyguy

by ultyguy

First race out on the cxr60t, Seeland Classic near Bern. 33km loops x3 with a good lump each lap. Blustery day, these wheels were spectacular. Stiff on the climb, held speed amazingly well, easily gapped everyone including a certain Cancellara (rides with us chumps in this event every year) on a long descent. So I make the front group of 25, after the climb on the 2nd lap, Fabu punches it on the descent and everyone is scattering, I'm 3 wheels back but the guy in front of me gets gapped. I use my momentum to go up left side but the guy drifts left and puts his rear skewer thru my front spokes at 60kph. Very luck that neither of us fell. Bittersweet as I had good legs, but I guess all dnf's say that.

Ps sure am glad I had these on and not r-sys, not sure they would've held up well in that kind of situation!
Last edited by ultyguy on Sun May 11, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oswald

by Oswald

Ouch... hope you did not get hurt. Do you think you can just replace the spokes? Or are the hub and/or rim toast?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I sure hope the spokes can be replaced, didn't get the crash protection :-(. Damn lucky neither of us crashed, would've been nasty.