I need help for Tarmac SL4 frame Identification

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Hello everyone.

I have a friend who wants to buy a Tarmac frame, used one. He sent me the photo and asked if I saw that frame before.
I never saw that beautiful, white Tarmac SL4 frame.

Seller said this is limited edition. Maybe test bike, in my opinion. But I am not sure. Maybe a fake frame.

Is there anyone who can give information about it?

Thanks in advance

campyman099

by campyman099

nothing I see on Specialized.com, even under the archives. This is the closest I found: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... id-compact
Quit whining and go ride your bike!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Specialized will make paint sample frames yearly and sometimes these get to dealers for various reasons. This could easily be one of those. Problem being they typically don't have serial numbers so it would be very hard to tell from a fake. I'm sure you know fake Specialized frames are being heavily distributed world wide lately.

What part of the world are you in? I'm almost certain it's in no way a "limited edition".

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I would assume it is a fake unless Specialized can verify it for you. Too many fakes out there to take a chance.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Thank you. I will tell my friend to send specialized a mail about it.

I guess it will be the best information, since no one here saw this frame before.

He is in USA and wants to buy frame there. Frame is on sale on Orlando craiglist

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I doubt that it is a limited edition. Most of the limited edition frames are at the "S-Works" level. Not "Expert" level.

Here are my two thoughts on it, given that it is labeled as an "Expert" model:

1. It is a Demo bike.
Specialized offers demo bikes for dealers, often times at the Expert level for dealers to loan out for extended test rides. Those bikes often receive special paint jobs, though traditionally, the paint jobs were pretty noticeable, such as neon orange or lime green. They also came with a sticker that said Test Bike, though those could be removed. The bikes are not intended for sale, but the shops do have to buy them and often will sell them at the end of the year.

2. It came from overseas.
Specialized offers different paint jobs in different countries. My wife, for example, as an Amira Pro that has a paint job that is only offered in Belgium as far as we can tell. (She got it directly from Specialized and you can find her listed under Specialized's Riders on its website.) You will have to flip through a bunch of different country sites to find it, which means a lot of clearing your browser history to go to a different Specialized country sites.

And, as said, it could be a fake.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

topflightpro wrote:I doubt that it is a limited edition. Most of the limited edition frames are at the "S-Works" level. Not "Expert" level.

Here are my two thoughts on it, given that it is labeled as an "Expert" model:

1. It is a Demo bike.
Specialized offers demo bikes for dealers, often times at the Expert level for dealers to loan out for extended test rides. Those bikes often receive special paint jobs, though traditionally, the paint jobs were pretty noticeable, such as neon orange or lime green. They also came with a sticker that said Test Bike, though those could be removed. The bikes are not intended for sale, but the shops do have to buy them and often will sell them at the end of the year.

2. It came from overseas.
Specialized offers different paint jobs in different countries. My wife, for example, as an Amira Pro that has a paint job that is only offered in Belgium as far as we can tell. (She got it directly from Specialized and you can find her listed under Specialized's Riders on its website.) You will have to flip through a bunch of different country sites to find it, which means a lot of clearing your browser history to go to a different Specialized country sites.

And, as said, it could be a fake.

I am riding an 2009 Tarmac Expert, test bike. When I google'd it, I am easily having some information about my frame. It was a white one with purple details.
This frame, I couldn't find it anywhere on internet. And seller also said it is not test bike.

And more, the seller says that he has serial numbers on the frame and it registered to his name. So my friend asked direct information from Specialized that, this serial number registered to that name and frame is under specialized's warranty.

Thanks for other informations also :)