In Search of Cinelli...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shortsocks

by Shortsocks

In New Mexico, Santa Fe, There is a bike shop that readily sells and rents Cinelli bikes. Pretty much half of their road bike's for rental are Cinelli. I was really surprised when I saw how many accessories and jerseys they sold as well. But then I found out that Cinelli North America is based out of Santa Fe. So that makes sense.

Another bike shop in Philly, Bells Bikes, Sells a ton of Cinelli gear. I actually got to ride WIth Cinelli's North America Rep while out there one year. Nice Guy. I Still wish there was a larger Cinelli presence outside of the Fix Gear urban culture in North America.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

cwdzoot wrote:Image

Been racing the Saetta Race Cut and even though it's supposed to be more of an endurance built I enjoy the comfort and light weight

I was looking at the Geometry of the Saetta and it seems to be leaning towards the Racy end rather than endurance end and the blurb seems to suggest it is aimed more at a racer...
Can i ask how you find it on longer rides?

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

just to qualify what i mean by my understanding of bicycle geometry my understanding is that a Head Angle of 73.5 is racy whilst less than that is more endurance. please correct me if i've understood this wrong...

davidalone

by davidalone

not necessarily. you can't look just purely at HT angle.

'Race' bikes will tend to have lower stack than 'endurance' bikes. lower stack ( usually corresponding to lower HT height) allows you to go really low and be in a more aggressive position. they will also usually tend to have shorter wheelbase and shorter trail so they 'handle' faster. Race bikes will also aim all out for lightweight/stiffness/aero with no compromises for comfort. Endurance bikes will usually have some sort of concession for comfort- e.g. specialized roubaix with zertz, Trek Domane, bianchi infinito CV with countervail, and don't necessarily emphasize lightweight, aero, etc.

the whole 'endurance' and 'race' bike thing is a misnomer, really. The differences are small. Cancellara races his domane all year round. Tom Boonen uses the venge, an aero race bike, on the cobbles. Robbie Hunter used the Bianchi Infinito as a sprinter bike in the 09 Giro and even podiumed on it. I myself race a Bianchi Infinito since it fits my awkward body well. get a good fitter to tell you what geometry will fit you and what your numbers are. No point buying a race bike and having to use 5cm of spacers.

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

It's really good for longer rides and maybe not stiff enough and zippy enough for crits. The Saetta is the perfect bike for someone who rides a lot and races sometimes. The geometry woks well as a race bike but for the height of the headtube. I have the stem all the way down and if I was fitter and racing more would need a -17 stem to get where I would want to be. BTW I would like to sell this frame/fork/headset/post/stem and Bar it's a Large, stem 110 and bar 44 $800
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

lol thanks!! But unfortunately living in the UK it would probably be easier with shipping and tax to get something from here. Bike fitter also thinks i'm best off looking for an effective top tube of 57-58cm and looking at Cinelli sizing i think an XL is where i'm headed...

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

davidalone wrote:not necessarily. you can't look just purely at HT angle.

'Race' bikes will tend to have lower stack than 'endurance' bikes. lower stack ( usually corresponding to lower HT height) allows you to go really low and be in a more aggressive position. they will also usually tend to have shorter wheelbase and shorter trail so they 'handle' faster. Race bikes will also aim all out for lightweight/stiffness/aero with no compromises for comfort. Endurance bikes will usually have some sort of concession for comfort- e.g. specialized roubaix with zertz, Trek Domane, bianchi infinito CV with countervail, and don't necessarily emphasize lightweight, aero, etc.

the whole 'endurance' and 'race' bike thing is a misnomer, really. The differences are small. Cancellara races his domane all year round. Tom Boonen uses the venge, an aero race bike, on the cobbles. Robbie Hunter used the Bianchi Infinito as a sprinter bike in the 09 Giro and even podiumed on it. I myself race a Bianchi Infinito since it fits my awkward body well. get a good fitter to tell you what geometry will fit you and what your numbers are. No point buying a race bike and having to use 5cm of spacers.

thanks for this davidalone.

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

i had one!

it was a XL in Italo'79 colours.

absolutely fantastic bike. smoother than you could imagine and plenty quick. definitely more sportive than crit.

i passed it to my brother who has subsequently moved on to a new Colnago C59. The last time I spoke to him he still had the frameset (including matching Ram bar/stem combo) and had it for sale.

he's in London.

the bike has never ever been stored outside or in a shed/garage. it has always been a house-pet.

let me know if you need me to put you in touch.

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

Hey dude,
Alas it is tale of woe... it was the site of this frame that has got me in this mess in the first place!!
You had kindly put me in touch with your bro and I actually had an offer accepted but reneged as thought too big. After a bike fit found might actually be my size so went for it again but told has been sold to a relative so have been left disappointed and on the hunt ever since! But no matter things happen for a reason

Seeing the pictures again has made me smile though as it is a quite a beaut. Actually just had a chance to look at some of your posts and your taste in bikes is pretty phenomenal!! I bow in respect

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

So first honeymoon destination is San Fran and first bike is cinelli vbo!! To be fair quite a few hot looking numbers on show. Have to say having just done a tour would love to test myself on the terrain here but Another time I think !!

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

So I've been doing some more thinking and have started to wonder whether in fact i really want a carbon bike. This has lead to a dabble back in the world of titanium. The 3 I'm looking at are the enigma echo, the sabbath Silk Road and the lynskey sportive. I have ridden the Silk Road which was ok... Didn't feel more rapid than my Raleigh clubman but similar road dampening. will try and get a leg over the echo in a couple of weeks though Not sure if lbs has it. No chance of test riding lynskey sadly. If anyone has any experience of one or more of these bikes i would be grateful for an opinion.
Many thanks