3T wheels 60 deep limited... Who'da thought.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Review's here:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latest-news/?id=119646

I didn't know what to expect from 3T given they've never built a wheel AND were actually trying something new.

Nice job. They've been running well, no hiccups and I've been unkind to them to see if the rim/spoke interface might be an issue.

Licensing the hubs from CaneCreek was bright. As is the Campy/Shimano combination freehub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'm very interested in this wheels, and am applauding to 3T for trying something different. But ...
- It has eliminated spoke threading.

Every spoke still has one thread, just on the other end, right?
[...] load is now pulling in line with the carbon fiber rather than punching a hole through it and then side loading that hole.

Molded (not "punched") spoke holes have been done before, albeit in more traditional setups.

Good to get info on the wheels anyway. They seem to be somewhat elusive.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Still threaded at the hub. No hardware at the rim...

And there have been molded holes but everything else still runs through a spot that concentrates the stress a little (or a lot) more.

I'm just happy to see another new rim (that actually does something different).

davidalone

by davidalone

that freehub design is actually an edco design they licensed.

ichobi

by ichobi

I quite like the 40 version. Can you comment on the hub? Strong? Smooth? Stiff? Comparable to competitors?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

The freehub is Edco. The body and nipple designs are Cane Creek...

The hubs, so far have been good.

There are a few sets of these wheels around me and a couple are used by large guys (190-210) and the hubs have done really well. I wouldnt write a story about these until there were a reasonable sample of miles on them (collectively) because I just didn't know how they would hold up (I wasn't gonna run an immediate article like most publications did when they first came out).

They're not a quiet hub... I think these wheels are a bit louder than most. Probably due to the fact that the rim is solid with no holes punched and hardware / nipples fastened to it. It makes for a little more effective echo / sound chamber... But I like that whooosh noise from deep carbon. It makes me feel faster despite getting old...

CBJ

by CBJ

CharlesM wrote:The freehub is Edco. The body and nipple designs are Cane Creek...

Yes, Cane Creek used to make wheels too with that design both road and mtb. My wife has a set on her old school steel HT.

LouisN

by LouisN

Do we have verified weights for these wheels.....?

After all.... :smartass:

Louis :)

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Nice article. Very intriguing wheels. I saw the article comment about not liking the silver hubs on the wheels tested and just wanted to note that there is a Stealth version on offer from 3T with black hubs and black spokes. You can send me the silver hubed wheels if they really irk you. 8)

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Silver's not a deal breaker. Hell it wouldnt be too tough to make these black. But dangit I wish I would have grabbed the stealth now!

LouisN wrote:Do we have verified weights for these wheels.....?

After all.... :smartass:

Louis :)

1410... 15 grams under suggested weight.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Charles, listen to the sultry sound of my voice. You are getting sleepy, the silver hubs ARE a deal breaker, send them to Stolichnaya. Now when I snap my fingers you will wake up and go to the post office with those wheels boxed up.

:thumbup:

CharlesM

by CharlesM

LMAO

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

I spent a few weeks on the wheel set and I was quite surprised by it. It spun up quickly for a deep wheel and the braking surface was excellent. IMO, the braking felt better than Zipp but not quite on the same level as the Enve 3.4. I love the free hub design and the wheel makes a great whoosh sound!

Devon

by Devon

CharlesM wrote:They're not a quiet hub... I think these wheels are a bit louder than most. Probably due to the fact that the rim is solid with no holes punched and hardware / nipples fastened to it. It makes for a little more effective echo / sound chamber... But I like that whooosh noise from deep carbon. It makes me feel faster despite getting old...

How does the hub sound rival something like a Royce or Pro3?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I've heard that that the freehub design, while theoretically great, is a bit fiddly w/ Campagnolo and that it requires some special lockring? Truth? Rumour?