Campy BB30 cup adaptors vs Parlee BB30 cups for Campy

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GuyGadois

by GuyGadois

Anyone had experience with both Campy and Parlee cups for BB30? I was talking with the group that made my frame and they recommended the Parlee cups over the Campy one. They said the Campy ones have come out of their frames a few times but Parlee hasn't. Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,

GG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I looked at the Parlee cups. Visually they are the same as Campy.

I have used the Campy cups for over 3 years now in a Cannondale Supersix with no problems whatsoever. They were pressed in once, dry, and have never moved.

I'd suggest that problems are more related to either user error or frame BB quality.

Bear in mind too that there is a significant difference between BB30 and PF30 when it comes to Campy's cups.

Make sure you know which one you are reading about.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

GuyGadois

by GuyGadois

bikerjulio wrote:I looked at the Parlee cups. Visually they are the same as Campy.

I have used the Campy cups for over 3 years now in a Cannondale Supersix with no problems whatsoever. They were pressed in once, dry, and have never moved.

I'd suggest that problems are more related to either user error or frame BB quality.

Bear in mind too that there is a significant difference between BB30 and PF30 when it comes to Campy's cups.

Thanks much. Makes sense.

Cheers,

GG

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

bikerjulio wrote:I looked at the Parlee cups. Visually they are the same as Campy.

They're not. The Parlee ones are much deeper.

I wouldn't touch the Campag ones - too many people have reported issues. They creep out of the frame. Sounds like 'bikerjulio' ^^ has been one of the very few lucky ones.

The Parlee ones are used by Parlee, Gaulzetti, Indy Fab and most other US custom builders running PF30 BBs. This is because they work.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

BikeTart wrote:

They're not. The Parlee ones are much deeper.

I wouldn't touch the Campag ones - too many people have reported issues. They creep out of the frame. Sounds like 'bikerjulio' ^^ has been one of the very few lucky ones.

The Parlee ones are used by Parlee, Gaulzetti, Indy Fab and most other US custom builders running PF30 BBs. This is because they work.

There is a difference between PF30 and BB30 which you and many others fail to pick up on when reading about this issue. I hope OP knows the difference!

Indeed there have been problems reported with Campy's PF30 cups, and if OP has a PF30 frame I'd be recommending something else entirely.

edit.

Now I'm wondering if OP does know the difference, since Parlee don't appear to be selling a BB30 adapter, only PF30, which renders my whole discussion so far redundant.

OP if you have a PF30 frame and want to install Campy UT or PT cranks, personally I'd be buying a good PF30 to BSA adapter and using the regular threaded Campy cups.

The choices are more limited for Campy. There are lots of Shimano/SRAM type adapters, but few for Campy. Hence my suggestion.

There are several approaches to the issue, but my choice would be something along these lines.

http://www.bdopcycling.com/Bottom%20Brackets-ADAPTER%20PF30%20to%20BSA.asp
Last edited by bikerjulio on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

One.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Please explain 'user error', I hope you don't mean that these are sensitive to riding style .
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

mattythemod

by mattythemod

Same situation here new frame BB30 and dont have much faith in Campys BB30 sysytem so have gone with the tripeak BB30 to Bsa adaptor : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUfmFIhDnDg

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:Please explain 'user error', I hope you don't mean that these are sensitive to riding style .

Firstly I was referring to plain old fashioned Campagnolo BB30 42mm cups. And no, "user error" does not include riding the bike. :D

Not pressing in straight, or installing with grease would count though.

The BB30 cups I have were pressed into my Supersix over 3 years ago and were fitted with Campy Record UT crankset with 180mm cranks. I'm around 200# and have given the bike good trashing over that time with no problems whatsoever.

However I think this discussion is going to be about PF30 adapters which is a different issue.

One.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Long running thread somewherre on here regarding problems with PF30 adaptors that went in similar circles.
No problems with my long term Campag BB30 at all, PF seems to be a very different matter.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

im gona back bike tart on this one... i had campag bb30 cups on my 2011 z5 parlee and they are rubbish.... unless you use a form of serious loctite or glue them in they work out and creak over time.. problem is they don't have enough depth too stay put using what one would hope was normal methods for such adaptors ( grease and pressing them in.. )
wheels MFG make some that are much better and praxis have some due out any day that if they are half as good as every thing else they make will be farking amazing...

trust me campag bb30 cups are so crap i used it as an excuses for a set of THM M3 cranks :smartass:

Arc

by Arc

Difference in depth of my parlee an campagnolo cups.
Never did ride with the campy ones, had 0 problems with parlee cups.

ridewhenever

by ridewhenever

wait a couple of months for the praxis ones??? Spring 2014 is pretty soon.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

sugarkane wrote:im gona back bike tart on this one... i had campag bb30 cups on my 2011 z5 parlee and they are rubbish.... unless you use a form of serious loctite or glue them in they work out and creak over time.. problem is they don't have enough depth too stay put using what one would hope was normal methods for such adaptors ( grease and pressing them in.. )
wheels MFG make some that are much better and praxis have some due out any day that if they are half as good as every thing else they make will be farking amazing...

trust me campag bb30 cups are so crap i used it as an excuses for a set of THM M3 cranks :smartass:

I bolded your mistake for you :)

There's nothing wrong with the BB30 cups when properly installed

One.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Arc wrote:Difference in depth of my parlee an campagnolo cups.
Never did ride with the campy ones, had 0 problems with parlee cups.

Are we are looking at PF30 cups?

Only asking because Parlee are not currently showing any BB30 cups on their site.

One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Forgo the cups entirely and get Campagnolo Over-Torque BB30/PF30/BB386 cranks. no adapters to muck things up!