Women's Carbon Frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DMF

by DMF

Also, for very short reach it is generally smarter to go for a shorter stem and/or shorter reach handlebars than a super short top tube (talking 47-50cm TT's here) as you'll get in trouble with either toe overlap or crazy geometries (like 74 degree STA/71 degree HTA with longish rake forks) that just isn't conductive to good handling only to overcome the toe overlap issues...

And people.bringing up that short stems automatically means sketchy handling are just regurgitating hogwash they've heard without really understanding how a bikes steering capabilities actually function in regards to trail, weight distribution, fork angles, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I agree 100% DMF! My wife struggled with toe overlap on some demo bikes that came with a 100mm or great stem. She finally found a Pinarello 47cm with a 70mm stem is perfect. She's had no problem turning above 50 mph either. She's 5'3" if you're wondering.

jpac

by jpac

I would guess buying a shorter stem on the bike that fits would suffice?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Franklin wrote:You all realize that a "woman's bike" is beyond ridiculous from a bodymetry standpoint? The differences between women and men are negligable in this regard.

I think we kind of get that. But if you are a 'short reach/high stack' kind of person, women's specific frames have become a useful starting point when looking for a new frame ... assuming they aren't just regular frames with a splash of pink paint.

Said by someone who used to race on custom-built steel frames in the 1980s.

Franklin

by Franklin

Valbrona wrote:I think we kind of get that.

1. Considering there's a market I'd say a lot of people don't get that.
2. I have been in several threads here where indeed knowledgable users were touting how company x or Y made Woman specific frames. Again, body metry data shows that these very knowledgable people were just as bamboozled as many others. And no I don't blame (or name) them as being a stud on cycling tech does not mean you know that differences between female and male biometry is pretty much a wash.

Even in this thread someone says "and the very few that are truly designed with different geometry, different carbon layup etc"

That's just such patent nonsense that it needs to be pointed out. there is no need for a different geometry and certainly no need for a "different carbon layup" (that one cracks me up on male models, let alone female models).

So Valbrona, you seem to get it, but obviously still people ned to be corrected.

Furthermore, if a company runs a female frame chances that exact size is also at the (much, much better equiped!) male model are enormous. Whcih is of course because the bike companies know that there is absolutely no difference between the geometries. It's easy money!

lannes

by lannes

Xtra Small sized - Giant Propel Advanced SL or TCR Advance SL 0 ISP, both available as frame only

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 880/66594/
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 969/68381/

wingguy

by wingguy

Franklin wrote:Furthermore, if a company runs a female frame chances that exact size is also at the (much, much better equiped!) male model are enormous. Whcih is of course because the bike companies know that there is absolutely no difference between the geometries. It's easy money!

Well, if I'm nitpicking, most of the womens specific bikes our shop deals with are different to the mens geometries... usually by less than 5mm!

One exception mentioned in the OP is the Spesh Amira which is considerably shorter reach for a given stack in its smallest sizes than the Tarmac, but that's only because the Tarmac doesn't get any shorter in reach from 54 down. In fact, if you then compare the Amira to a mens / unisex bike that simply has endurance geometry like the Scott Solace and in the smallest sizes the Solace gains only 1.6mm in reach but a full 13.7mm in stack. A Cervelo R-series at its smallest also has 2mm higher stack and 5mm shorter reach.

So why focus on looking for womens geometry instead of endurance geometry?