Clear coat suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

indywagon

by indywagon

I'd like to spray a layer of clear coat over my Enve seatpost to turn it from matte to gloss. Is there any real difference in clear coats? If so, what's best for this application?

Thanks,
Chris

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GuyGadois

by GuyGadois

I would also be interested in this topic. How much prep sanding should be done?

Cheers,

GG

nealrab

by nealrab

What don't you like about the matte finish? If the clear coating process is not spot on, the post would probably look worse than when you first started. You could always invest in a Syntace P6 Hiflex post...glossy and fabulous!

cnbky

by cnbky

rough guide:

viewtopic.php?t=53264

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=87900&start=15

and use this for the clear coat..

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165505

welcome to the forum guys...check out the search function up top and use the relevant key words but the above links should do.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I would let a pro paint it for me, the clear coat is the hardest paint to paint :-)

munk93

by munk93

Its not that hard. If you want the Enve logos removes, use some semi fine paper (320) Top it of with something at +600. Then clean the post with acetone. Don't touch the carbon, and then spray with some clearcoat. The 2 things that can go wrong is A) Clearcoat will crumble. Usually because of fingerprints or any other dirt. B) Too much spraying will make the coating drip. Making waves on the surface. Do the clearcoat over 2 or 3 times instead of one heavy spraying.

Edit: And some clearcoat comes with glimmer. Unless you really like it, you should avoid those.

indywagon

by indywagon

nealrab wrote:What don't you like about the matte finish? If the clear coating process is not spot on, the post would probably look worse than when you first started. You could always invest in a Syntace P6 Hiflex post...glossy and fabulous!

The Enve matte finish doesn't match the finish on my Cervelo and it's kind of conspicuous. I've painted frames and parts before, so I have some experience and a pretty steady hand. I've never seen that Syntace post before; I'm not a big fan of two-bold designs, but that looks pretty darn slick. Thanks!

Chris
Last edited by indywagon on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indywagon

by indywagon

canbakay wrote:rough guide:

viewtopic.php?t=53264

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=87900&start=15

and use this for the clear coat..

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165505

welcome to the forum guys...check out the search function up top and use the relevant key words but the above links should do.

Thanks for the links. I used the Search function initially and found it to yield much ado about nothing really relevant.

Chris

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

indywagon

by indywagon

munk93 wrote:Its not that hard. If you want the Enve logos removes, use some semi fine paper (320) Top it of with something at +600. Then clean the post with acetone. Don't touch the carbon, and then spray with some clearcoat. The 2 things that can go wrong is A) Clearcoat will crumble. Usually because of fingerprints or any other dirt. B) Too much spraying will make the coating drip. Making waves on the surface. Do the clearcoat over 2 or 3 times instead of one heavy spraying.

Edit: And some clearcoat comes with glimmer. Unless you really like it, you should avoid those.

Thanks for this. If I don't want to remove the Enve logos, how best to clean the post prior to applying the clear coat. (I assume using acetone will remove the logos.)

Chris