Racing Zero Carbon or Assault SLG?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

itguy

by itguy

Hi,

I am currently on Racing Zero but I want to try carbon wheels now.

So between Racing Zero Carbon and Assault SLG, which would be a better all-rounder wheelset?

Assault SLG: ~$1100
Racing Zero Carbon: ~$1450

I liked fulcrum for their hub and their spokes looks nicer. Though it is pretty shallow vs the deeper Assault.

morkm

by morkm

No experience with either, but I'm a Fulcrum Racing 1 fan and am seriously considering the Racing Zero Carbon. I just don't know if it will be as stiff as the Racing 1. Aero is nice, but I've found the stiffness of the Racing 1 makes it my go-to wheel for all my riding. The Racing Zero Carbon seems like that allows a lighter wheel. Please update if you get a chance to ride the Racing Zero Carbon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shotgun

by shotgun

I've got Racing Zero and Assault SLG.

Plus for Zero
- Hubs, hands down

Plus for Assault
- Wider, feels more "planted"

Racing Zero Carbon would be wider and have awesome hubs. Please note there's also Attack which should be closer to the weight of the Zero Carbon
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

dvdslw

by dvdslw

I had the 2015 Assault slg's and had nothing but problems with them. After sending them to Utah on my dime for service they sent me a replacement set with the same issue. Thankfully the shop where I bought them took them back. Based on their lack of acknowledgement of my issues and the ability to fix them I'll spend my money elsewhere. Without going into detail, look at the picture below and you'll see an uneven seam that runs from the spoke hole to the rims bead hook. This would not allow the tubeless tape to seal under the high inflation pressures of road tubeless and all of my sealant was ending up in the rim, plus the wheels would not hold air because the point of least resistance for the air to escape was around the stem nut. Even riding tubed I had two flats that were right where that uneven seam is. Reynolds said we don't see the problem??? You can plainly see it below!!!

itguy

by itguy

dvdslw wrote:I had the 2015 Assault slg's and had nothing but problems with them. After sending them to Utah on my dime for service they sent me a replacement set with the same issue. Thankfully the shop where I bought them took them back. Based on their lack of acknowledgement of my issues and the ability to fix them I'll spend my money elsewhere. Without going into detail, look at the picture below and you'll see an uneven seam that runs from the spoke hole to the rims bead hook. This would not allow the tubeless tape to seal under the high inflation pressures of road tubeless and all of my sealant was ending up in the rim, plus the wheels would not hold air because the point of least resistance for the air to escape was around the stem nut. Even riding tubed I had two flats that were right where that uneven seam is. Reynolds said we don't see the problem??? You can plainly see it below!!!

Wow sorry to hear that. Have you got the chance to look through other rims (Assault SLG) that has this similar seam?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvdslw

by dvdslw

itguy wrote:
dvdslw wrote:I had the 2015 Assault slg's and had nothing but problems with them. After sending them to Utah on my dime for service they sent me a replacement set with the same issue. Thankfully the shop where I bought them took them back. Based on their lack of acknowledgement of my issues and the ability to fix them I'll spend my money elsewhere. Without going into detail, look at the picture below and you'll see an uneven seam that runs from the spoke hole to the rims bead hook. This would not allow the tubeless tape to seal under the high inflation pressures of road tubeless and all of my sealant was ending up in the rim, plus the wheels would not hold air because the point of least resistance for the air to escape was around the stem nut. Even riding tubed I had two flats that were right where that uneven seam is. Reynolds said we don't see the problem??? You can plainly see it below!!!

Wow sorry to hear that. Have you got the chance to look through other rims (Assault SLG) that has this similar seam?

Not sure what you mean, but both sets I had were SLG's from 2015