SRAM Red Exogram 52-36 110bcd

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Hi,
Anyone with insider knowledge as to if SRAM is intending to make (or already do make)52-36 compact chainrings for its Exogram Crankset - Im guessing with "22" upcoming its probably not a priority but would be nice...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

They announced they were making 36/52 rings for the 22 set. IIRC they also said they were making them available aftermarket as well.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/04/ ... kes_282149"

Crankset: Arm lengths down to 165mm; Yaw-compatible chainrings; hidden-bolt design; standard and compact rings as well as the new 52-36 chainring combinations available; 741g claimed with BB30

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Is there any particular reason why you want the SRAM chainrings in 52/36?
You could also run Praxis' 52/36 combo and save a substantial amount of weight. They work perfectly well with the Exogram crankset when set up. Minor mod needed to run on the BB30 model due to a chamfer issue. But: lighter, cheaper, great shifting. Unless you don't like the look of them, of course!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

The exogram rings shift better than Praxis.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

prendrefeu wrote:Is there any particular reason why you want the SRAM chainrings in 52/36?
You could also run Praxis' 52/36 combo and save a substantial amount of weight. They work perfectly well with the Exogram crankset when set up. Minor mod needed to run on the BB30 model due to a chamfer issue. But: lighter, cheaper, great shifting. Unless you don't like the look of them, of course!

Because I do the almost Cardinal Sin of actually buying from a LBS here and I doubt they can get hold of Praxis rings in Mallorca. (And I do like the way it looks and shifts)

asv

by asv

Imaking20 wrote:The exogram rings shift better than Praxis.

:shock:

Praxis > SRAM

If your LBS doesn't carry them you can buy direct.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I didn't throw that out there for the sake of favoritism. Praxis rings shift very well and save a good bit of weight - BUT - when used with the whole new red group they do not shift as quickly or precisely as the exogram rings. Considering Praxis doesn't even recommend the combo, I wouldn't call that a fault. If you didn't ride the exogram rings and switch to Praxis - you'd never suspect you're missing anything.

FWIW, I have 2 sets of praxis rings currently in use and have used 3 sets of exogram cranks.

tdudzik

by tdudzik

Anyone know if they're going to be only for the new sram 22, or does 11/10 speed not make a difference in chainrings? Furthermore, I run a Quarq Riken, so will they shift ok even though they're rotated a couple degrees than normal?

plung138

by plung138

I just called FairWheelBikes before placing an order for the Praxis 52/36 chainrings and the guy told me there is a slight modification that has to be done on the rings before they will fit the EXOGRAM crank. He said there was a post and a picture on Weight Weenies but I can't find it. Has anyone seen that and/or did the installation ?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

You'll find it over here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103730

The 'modification' is one of two things: either ring rotation 180° (discussed around pages 7 through 11, I think, and verified by Praxis on page 10) or slightly filing down a tab to accommodate a chamfer on the crankset if you're running BB30. That is also discussed in there somewhere. The modification discussion gets picked up again around page 16, sorted again on page 17 (it was a repeat of the prior discussion).
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

djconnel

by djconnel

I asked my LBS to register as a Praxis dealer. I want to see how that goes.

I like the tight combinations, though, so am excited by the 36-46 cyclocross set. There's also a 36-48. But I find the 46-11 plenty big for the riding I do. Hopefully the cross rings don't turn out heavy. In principle a 46 should be light.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Im aware of the inescapably poor form of bumping ones own post some half a year after it died. Be that as it may, does anyone have any inside information if SRAM wil EVER release 52-36 chainrings for its Exogram 10spd crankset, before I cross over to the dark side and get some Praxis rings plus a large pair of mole-grips to rip off the catch pin?

grover

by grover

I was told end of April...I can see it getting pushed back with the hydro brake saga though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com