Sram 22 and old Sram compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TimmS

by TimmS

There are lot of theories about cable pull and exact actuation out there.

Did someone on here try to use a 22 (red or force) rear derailleur with the older 10 speed shifter or vice versa?
Did it work or just slightly?

My rear derailleur (older force) needs replacement. I don't have the money now to change everything, so I hope to change the parts step by step.

Thanks!

aaric

by aaric

Rear derailleurs are interchangeable. My Red 22 derailleur is indistinguishable from the 10 speed aeroglide derailleur in weight, appearance or performance other than the 22 graphic on the cage. Given the compatibility among older derailleurs, I'd be really surprised if all the old derailleurs didn't work.

The red front derailleurs are shaped slightly differently - the red 22 front derailleur shifts better with the 11s chain and shifters in my experience.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rheosibal

by rheosibal

aaric wrote:Rear derailleurs are interchangeable. My Red 22 derailleur is indistinguishable from the 10 speed aeroglide derailleur in weight, appearance or performance other than the 22 graphic on the cage. Given the compatibility among older derailleurs, I'd be really surprised if all the old derailleurs didn't work.

The red front derailleurs are shaped slightly differently - the red 22 front derailleur shifts better with the 11s chain and shifters in my experience.

By any chance, is the Red22 FD compatible with the old Red shifter? I was debating to switch to Sram 22 by changing the least amount of parts
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

aaric

by aaric

I don't see why it wouldn't be....but I've not tried it - I had 1st gen red shifters, and wanted the newer ergodynamic ones.

I can say that the older red yaw derailleur worked similarly on the 1st gen and red 22 shifters. Seemed to shift about the same. I had a full red 22 set on my newer bike, and compared the front derailleurs...and noticed a difference in the cages with the front derailleur, so then updated the front to red 22, which improved shifting to a point better than what I had with the previous red: Note this is using a specialized 10/11s crankset, so YMMV

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Sorry I meant the 1st ten of new Sram Red w/ Yaw FD. 2012 model I believe.
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

TimmS

by TimmS

My brother bought a Force 22 group last weekend and was so nice to let me try the 22 rear derailleur on my old force groupset. To my suprise (although suprise, I know sram is a smart company) the old and new derailleurs are exactly the same. Apart for the color, the only difference I could find is in the cable tensioner bolt... Also the distance between the cages is the same, so no rub from using a 10 speed chain. It installed just fine and couldn't notice any problems on the road.

This is nice as it seems that older generations and the 22 rear derailleurs are completely interchangable :twisted:

tvillumsen

by tvillumsen

Has anybody tried using their old 10 speed crank and chainrings with their new 22 setup?

gospastic

by gospastic

I upgraded recently to Red 22 from Red 2012 but kept my old 10sp crank but have been using Praxis rings. It works flawlessly. It actually seems to work better now with the Red 22 FD vs the Red 2012 FD.

tvillumsen

by tvillumsen

That sounds great! I was actually also thinking of upgrading to either Praxis or CT2s. But sounds like I should go for the Praxis!

Thanks!

topflightpro

by topflightpro

So based on your experiences, it makes sense then that I could upgrade my 2013 10-Speed Red set up to 11-speed simply by changing shifters, cassette and chain, keeping the 10-speed RD, crankset, breaks and maybe FD?

aaric

by aaric

Yes, assuming your rear wheel can handle the wider 11s cassette. Though, the new FD shifts better in my experience, but that probably depends on the rings. You could simulate the difference pretty easily by sticking an 11speed chain on your current 10s setup, and shifting the front :) Heck, you might only need to replace the right brifter...

tvillumsen

by tvillumsen

Got the new groupset installed this weekend, and took it on the first ride yesterday. It runs smooth and with no problems at all.
Setup: SRAM Force 22 with 2013 Red 10 speed crankset and chainrings.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Did anybody have a chance to measure the cage width of the FD sram red yaw 10s and yaw 22?
Is there any difference? As the prices are almost identical, I wonder which one will be a better fit and replacement of the 1st gen Ti one working with red 1st gen shifters and 10s chain.

gospastic

by gospastic

I measured. 11s FD is about half mm narrow than 10s Yaw. I haven't tried using the 11 FD with a 10s chain, but I did use the 10s FD on an otherwise 11s drivetrain before switching to 11s FD. The front shifting is much better with the 11s FD. Shifts were okay with the 10s FD but once I switched the improvement was noticeable.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Thanks for that [THUMBS UP SIGN]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com