ee cycleworks brakes vs ax lightness breaks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lemule

by Lemule

Anybody got any opinions?

I have heard great reviews of the ee cycleworks brakes but still really like ax lightness kit.

I am building up a carbon ti bike so either would go!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Ax brakes have a weight limit, fragile fittings and don't stop
Any where near as well or have the slick quick change holders

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

you should add thm carbones to the mix. out of the three, pick thm carbones. superbe stopping power, excellent looks. a fabulous brake.

ax lightness is nice looking but stopping power is lacking compared to ee and thm. i own all three.

trikobe

by trikobe

Any idea if the ax brakes will accommodate wide rims like the zipp 303 or enve 3.4. I sold my ax brakes a while back and never had a chance to use it with wider rims, but from memory, they barely cleared my 21mm wide rims without me having to pull the spring out every now and again. What about the thm...is there enough clearance?

barsook77

by barsook77

mike wrote:you should add thm carbones to the mix. out of the three, pick thm carbones. superbe stopping power, excellent looks. a fabulous brake.

ax lightness is nice looking but stopping power is lacking compared to ee and thm. i own all three.

Have the ee's. Hands down a really great brake. When I went to the THM site they left out the comparison to the ee. Just wondering how much better they stop than the ee's. There is also the weight difference of 138 /169 for the ee and (depending on the site) a 243-265 lbs weight restriction;Total bike weight + rider + gear for the THM.

They are beautifully made ... but twice as expensive for 31 grams? Cycling was always expensive...now it's ridiculous.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

sugarkane wrote:Ax brakes have a weight limit, fragile fittings and don't stop
Any where near as well or have the slick quick change holders

:goodpost:

I have had both AX and EE... (I use EE exclusively now, an will for the foreseeable future)

EE with out a doubt. Still pretty light-weight, without ANY of the fragility or limitations of AX.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

Brakes and breaks in the same title. I like it.

Lemule

by Lemule

Ha ha I'm such an idiot.

Thanks for the input though!!!

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Can't comment on the ax lightness brakes but I have had the ee for 1 year and am looking for a cheap pair for the other bike now. Great brake, lightweight and you get used to the looks over time. I actually find them quite handsome now, but looked at every other option at the start despite the excellent reviews because I found them just so ugly.

HAve you read the fairwheel brake review - good read.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wcl4

by Wcl4

+1 on ee. Had to sell my AX - no stopping power. Good for wall art.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

ee cycleworks brakes vs ax lightness breaks
I think you summed it up right there.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

i have a friend with ax brakes and 3.4s and its a bit of a hassle when the pads are new..

vlastrada

by vlastrada

I had AX (Perseus) for several thousands kms, and they are a nightmare in race conditions and fast technical descents, as they take ages to rub off speed.
I currently run the THM Fibulas, which are considerably more powerful and race worthy. The EE are by all accounts better still, but unfortunately I find their appearance revolting:(.

Lemule

by Lemule

Really appreciate all the advice.Think ee brakes are the best option for my build.

Il try keep you posted but will be a while as I am.just in the research stage at the minute.

Therefore I am.always open to other suggestions.

Thanks again.

Montana

by Montana

I have both and like the EE better. The AX are nice but less stopping power and fragile hardware - However, the AX are lighter

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com