Setting up AX3000s with Tune housing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a nightmare and I think it's to do with the Tune housing (the white plastic stuff). It's seemingly very stiff and slightly too little or too much cable seems to hold the brake over to one side or the other. I made an in-between cut and managed to set the brakes in the perfect position. Unfortunately one side still seems to be getting influenced by the outter. When I pull the lever, one side comes in nicely but the other barely moves in 1mm.

I'm so confused and wearing out my rear brake cable fast! I set the front up with no issues at all!! Please help!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I don't think I have a straight-up solution, sorry. Thinking it through, it's the cable pushing against the stop at the brake and that brake arm does not want to move in onto the rim? So the length becomes super critical?
I'm about to (in good time) set up for the first time using Tune housing on TriRig front and EE at bb; don't think though that I'll run into similar problem. If I do, I'll just have that last short length in Campag cable. Yes I agree it's stiff and I was more thinking how it'll go at the front end (handle bars).
Less is more.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I thought if I cut the outter short then it may not push the adjuster. I think I still need to trim more off, but I'm off on holiday tomorrow so it'll have to wait. I thought this Tune housing was gonna be a breeze compared to i-links but I'm wrecking my ti brake cable atm. Any suggestions welcome - there are defintely a few people here who have used this or a similar setup.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Been thinking about this far too much. It could be the square at the rear that the spring sits on. Mine has always been very thin there and the spring has come unseated before. I could try gluing the spring in place - think I've got some glue somewhere courtesy of HQ Fibre.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Use normal cable till you get the length right, no?
Less is more.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

shimmeD wrote:Use normal cable till you get the length right, no?

Wasn't anticipating any problems when I set out, but I managed to fix it now anyway. I don't know exactly what did it, but it seems outter length wasn't the problem. I took it apart, cleaned, re-assembled, played with cable adjustment and am using one of the lengths of outter I cut before. All's well that ends well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Sweeeet. Do let us know whether you like this bit of wwism.
Less is more.