Fave new Trainer: Wahoo KICKR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

regarding swapping out the 10-spd cassette for the 11-spd...i can use SRAM or Shimano for both my Campy and Di2 drivetrains?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

airwise

by airwise

spdntrxi wrote:
I'm slower on segments… with less power and more tired…. but it's still fun.

Sounds like you might need a more powerful fan ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

kode54 wrote:regarding swapping out the 10-spd cassette for the 11-spd...i can use SRAM or Shimano for both my Campy and Di2 drivetrains?

my shimano setup is still 10 speed… and my campy is 11s. It will work but the shifting is not smooth. I think when I upgrade the shimano drivetrain to 11s the only issue will be the rear der. My wife shimano setup has a 32t cassette and I don't think my SR11 rd will handle that well.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

LiKuid

by LiKuid

Hello there,

I have been using the KickR for the last 3 months and it's totally worth the extra money.
I haven't ridden other high end trainers, but the feel you get on the KickR is definitely up to the game.
Best thing about it, is you also get the power meter funcionality which is a pretty high class one because of the way it calculates power.
The power meter, together with a thrid party application like Trainer Road, gives you unlimited training capabilites and very efficient ones

On the downside, the unit produces quite a lot of noise which makes it difficult to ride early in the morning or late at night. I am now using a noise reducing mat which makes it a bit better but still not enough.
Last thing, on the software side (Wahho only) it lacks the functionality of other brands and you need to use other apps to get the full potential. TrainerRoad is great, but maybe not worth the monthly 10$ for someone who is not a regular indoor fan.

kode54

by kode54

LiKuid wrote:Hello there,

I have been using the KickR for the last 3 months and it's totally worth the extra money.
I haven't ridden other high end trainers, but the feel you get on the KickR is definitely up to the game.
Best thing about it, is you also get the power meter funcionality which is a pretty high class one because of the way it calculates power.
The power meter, together with a thrid party application like Trainer Road, gives you unlimited training capabilites and very efficient ones

On the downside, the unit produces quite a lot of noise which makes it difficult to ride early in the morning or late at night. I am now using a noise reducing mat which makes it a bit better but still not enough.
Last thing, on the software side (Wahho only) it lacks the functionality of other brands and you need to use other apps to get the full potential. TrainerRoad is great, but maybe not worth the monthly 10$ for someone who is not a regular indoor fan.

not nearly as loud as the Lemond Revolution. i had to get a quieter trainer and the next similar trainer was the Kickr...and so much quieter.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

LiKuid

by LiKuid

Don't know about the LeMond, but compared to the mid priced Tacx trainers that are favoutite choices in Europe, it is louder. I am just stressing that, as it was my only concern before buying. I like to work out early in the morning and can't do that on the Wahoo. Not really sure if i could on any other trainer though...

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Interesting...

The cooling fans I use are much louder than the trainer (and they're not really that loud). The Wahoo is louder than some basic fluid units (that are very quiet) but not loud enough that I would call it "loud".

I have to run it in the early AM and it doesn't disturb the wife or kids sleeping. She's come out and said "I didnt think you were still here"...

No issues watching TV and or the training apps.

LiKuid

by LiKuid

well, not sure what to say... mine sounds like the one in the video.

http://youtu.be/yNcD3CTJn6Q

Especially when the cadence is over 100, the sound level gets annoying.

by 11.4

I've had exactly the same result that Charles had. She can be sleeping in the next room with the door ajar and she doesn't wake. I can play the tv relatively low and still hear it comfortably. It may be that there's some resonance in the floor if you're experiencing more noise.

One other thing, for those with pets. Essentially everything that a dog or cat can stick its nose into is shielded here. The chain itself is about the only thing that a pet could get hurt by, and that's right under you where you can watch it. I back up against a wall or piece of furniture and have a small stand next to me to hold the iPad, phone, drink, tv control, etc., and I have no problem keeping the dogs safe. I could never say that about any other trainer.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have a cheap turbo trainer… the kickr is slightly less noisy to me.. I have mine down on a pad .. laminate flooring underneath that.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

aaric

by aaric

Try riding in a lower gear if you want the kickr to be more quiet. As http://youtu.be/yNcD3CTJn6Q shows, the faster the speed, the louder it gets, and since it adjusts resistance, you can just use a slower gear.

gsgrossart

by gsgrossart

My buddy and I have been using the Tacx Bushido for the last few years. Pretty good trainer, but the software has some quirks/bugs and the resistance gets unrealistically difficult when grades get over 6%.

He got a Kickr this year and it is a pretty great trainer. If I was buying a trainer now, it's the one I'd get. Really, the only thing keeping me from buying one (other than already having a solid trainer) is that you have to plug the Kickr resistance unit in to the wall; the Tacx resistance unit is powered by the bike spinning the flywheel (which makes sense since you are generating plenty of power anyway). If Kickr version 2.0 is "unplugged", I'll buy one in a heart beat.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^^^ battery backup would solve that issue… I have one laying around from a jugs softball pitching machine.. I've been able to run the kickr well over and hour when I tested. Battery cost me about 130..

I'm now adjusting the slope curve to get it to "feel" like the road for me.. getting really close now.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Horacio

by Horacio

I pulled the trigger on one. Should be here Friday. I'm hoping my power inverter I have installed in my vehicle will be enough for the Wahoo during crit/road racing warm ups.

by 11.4

The power supply requires 120 V, 2 amps, 60 watts max, and the output is 12 volt, 5 amp. Any in-car converter should be able to handle 60 watts without a problem, as should any small portable generator like the little Honda lunchbox ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com