Fave new Trainer: Wahoo KICKR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

CharlesM wrote:I get Hammers point and it's valid and completely true. People shouldnt expect the exact same training effect indoors to out (climbing or not actually). If Anyone manages to replicate that full effect, it would likely be a HEADLINE rather than a part of the story...

Charles, you indicated that you rode a Super Trainer (if I correctly interpreted your post). Did you ride it at an incline? if so, was it like real climbing? My hope is that it is, and that one day (soon), I can get a similar unit, whether from Rodby Innovation, Inside Ride, or some other manufacturer.

Yes, the price and weight for such a unit will likely be considerably higher than for traditional high-end trainers and rollers. But I'll take a good mechanism over video games any day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

yes, and no... it wasn't like real climbing. Even in the case of something like that, you have limits, both physical and mental. That's a hell of a rig and works well but the speed adjusting and the proximity of the rails really make you think a lot about what you're doing. My HR for the watts produced was a LOT different than other trainers and the road. I would guess conditioning to it would make some of that go away, but not all of it. When you're operating dynamically in an enclosure, it just never lets you really free. on a bike it seems a LOT worse than on something like incline treadmills. I've been on a unit like that running as well and it was awesome. On a bike it seems really claustrophobic and a couple of other people have said the same thing... so even when you have free bike movement, it's still not the same...

maxxevv

by maxxevv

You'll probably need a safety cord up front to prevent you from being spitted out the back or crashing into the rear barrier ?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

The same as climbing? No. but does it work muscles similarly to real climbing, both in and out of the saddle? I suppose the larger the unit, perhaps the better, but also the more expensive, everything else equal.

My Nordic Track ski machine with adjustable inclination, when inclined really makes you climb, and that is VERY different than using higher resistance at zero incline. It is not the same as real cross country skiing, although I would hope that an inclined bicycle treadmill would come close to real climbing. Perhaps your riding is affected by the claustrophobic aspect and fear of going too slow or fast to stay on the machine before it can appropriately react, but then again, not everyone takes to rollers immediately, either, and some people (not me, except once when I was taking it easy and not paying attention) have been known to fall off them.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Any update on how smoothly the Wahoo Segments app now runs please?

baldeagle

by baldeagle

Bookmark for later reading

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Tinea Pedis wrote:Any update on how smoothly the Wahoo Segments app now runs please?

it's been a number of weeks since I used it last... but I automatically start..pause..cancel and restart everytime I use it. Nothing like doing a flat section for a mile or two then when the slope kicks up on the app you feel nothing.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I bought it and have to say I'm very disappointed.

Poor form Wahoo.

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

Wahoo KICKR and Zwift is an amazing combo!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Tinea Pedis wrote:I bought it and have to say I'm very disappointed.

Poor form Wahoo.

I use it to do segments I have not done before but will be doing soon. Worked out pretty close to the time when I used it in that fashion as well.

steve long

by steve long

love mine in ergo mode and will use the bkool software in the near future

lewdvig

by lewdvig

I was an early adopter but sent mine back to Apple (recommend buying from them for their return policy alone).

Has the software improved? If I remember correctly it was pretty useless without a subscription to a training program. Have things changed?
Road: Guru Praemio, Colnago Master X Light, Scapin EOS5, Gios Compact Evo, Pinarello Gavia, Bottechia SLX, Bianchi Vittoria
Cross: Ritchey Swiss Cross
MTB: Rocky Mountain Instinct

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

It stills good trainer.. Their in house segments software really is bad now... It worked for a little bit but now it blows hard.
Kickr+zwift is all good though

Dodger747

by Dodger747

The standard Wahoo app is pretty good if you just want to lock in a wattage and hammer it out. No sub or cost needed for that.

TrainerRoad is perfect for my needs - but yes that requires a monthly subscription. I've been having a play with Zwift the last few weeks. It doesn't offer the structure I need, but for a bit of 'fun' for 30 minutes, it's fine.
VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
W/kg - 4.9

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Deleted. Posted reply by mistake to wrong thread. :oops:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"